How would you read this sign?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

megavites

How would you read this sign?

Unread postby megavites » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:56 pm

question:
How would you read this sign. Scouting a marsh to woodland transition this wknd I find a spot with over 15 pieces of buck crap. Nothing jumped out to me as far as a bed is concerned. No rubs in the immediate area. I’m wondering if this is a bucks “staging point” (hand symbol) as he comes out of the marsh and into the hardwoods. Doe trails cross thru the area (white dotted).

oldrank

Re: How would you read this sign?

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:10 am

It just looks like deer poop to me. I like the transition line. I think your bedding is in the island in the marsh. I would focus there and south of that. Might be something along that creek that runs into the marsh from the north. I see some brush where it branches off. Also that low spot in the field where it drains in the marsh. I'd check that. Plus the place where you have the hand. That looks like possible bedding. Also that lone tree that's in the center of the marsh looks like it's higher ground to the left. That may create a point the deer can exit from. If it is I would bank on that spot.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Concentrated droppings of various age. I would guess bedding.

But I would check the other spots too like oldrank mentioned.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
editingspace0

Unread postby editingspace0 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am

oldrank wrote:It just looks like deer poop to me. I like the transition line. I think your bedding is in the island in the marsh. I would focus there and south of that. Might be something along that creek that runs into the marsh from the north. I see some brush where it branches off. Also that low spot in the field where it drains in the marsh. I'd check that. Plus the place where you have the hand. That looks like possible bedding. Also that lone tree that's in the center of the marsh looks like it's higher ground to the left. That may create a point the deer can exit from. If it is I would bank on that spot.

If it were me, I'd assume that he's bedding on that island to the right also. That lone tree would be one you could set up in. Just from looking at it, it looks like a pine so there's dry ground under it.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon May 13, 2019 8:28 am

oldrank wrote:It just looks like deer poop to me. I like the transition line. I think your bedding is in the island in the marsh. I would focus there and south of that. Might be something along that creek that runs into the marsh from the north. I see some brush where it branches off. Also that low spot in the field where it drains in the marsh. I'd check that. Plus the place where you have the hand. That looks like possible bedding. Also that lone tree that's in the center of the marsh looks like it's higher ground to the left. That may create a point the deer can exit from. If it is I would bank on that spot.

x2
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”