Buck bedding topography question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Buck bedding topography question

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:00 am

Was curious if in your scouting and hunting experiences, do you see mature bucks bedding in areas where it’s easier for him to move to different spots when the wind changes. For example, all else being equal (cover, food availability, pressure, etc.), would a buck be much more likely to bed on a point where if the wind switches from east to west, he only had to move 50 yards to the other side of a point to be leeward, versus another point where he may have to move 200 yards to a different point altogether to be leeward.

Assuming the answer is yes, he will bed in the area that requires him to move the least for wind changes, how much does cover and/or pressure impact this? Do they give up the ease of switching in favor of better cover? Less pressure?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
backstraps

Re: Buck bedding topography question

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:40 am

Some of the best buck bedding I know are the points where he can rotate around the same point with wind changes.

As for "Assuming the answer is yes, he will bed in the area that requires him to move the least for wind changes, how much does cover and/or pressure impact this?"

I dont think a mature buck will tolerate much pressure at all, from predators or hunters. He may abandon that bed if it keeps gets intruded. Who knows how much each particular buck will tolerate...once he may be gone, twice?? three times??

I do know of some primary spots though where the buck will bed that same bed during different winds...these beds are unique though.... these are the absolute best bedding in an entire area. The kind of beds that make you sit there and study them with amazement. Thinking "how in the world can I hunt this bed"

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”