These Bucks did not survive.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

These Bucks did not survive.

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:43 pm

It's that time to get out and do post season scouting. It's proven to be much more important to me that summer scouting.

I don't get much time to scout. Two weeks ago, My wife chewed me out when I asked and scoffed "hunting season is over!" I told her, hunting season turns into scouting season and scouting season turns back into another hunting Season. She finally hit me with the famous whatever and I knew I could go soon.

We have had torrential rain, but I had an opportunity this afternoon and gladly took it.

I went to a section I have scouted 3-4 years ago but never spent much time hunting. It had good sign, but I've always felt like it received a good amount of hunting pressure. I hoped to cut some fresh tracks or bump a decent buck that survived the season. I had a destination beyond my previous area that I had never been to before that I wanted to explore. I was walking fast but decided to check a few old waypoints I had marked in the past.

I found a deadhead in the first spot I presumed was bedding area I had marked 2-3 years ago. After that I found deer trails, I kept following deer trails and followed elevation and thickets. Within an hour and a half of leaving my truck I had picked up 3 deadheads. I think the wide 4 was killed this last season but the other two very chewed skulls were killed several seasons ago.

Anyway, I could look all day and not find one deadhead or shed antler. Crazy to find 3 deadheads within 1 and 1/2 hours in one afternoon. Seems like it has a good number of deer using the area during the season.

I've got mixed emotions about it. Is this good or bad in your opinion?

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: These Bucks did not survive.

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:30 pm

Mixed for sure. I typically find 1-2 per season. I get excited if it’s a mature buck in a bedding area. I’ve found fresh beds near dead heads. Typically low pressure areas.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:37 am

Evanszach7 wrote:Mixed for sure. I typically find 1-2 per season. I get excited if it’s a mature buck in a bedding area. I’ve found fresh beds near dead heads. Typically low pressure areas.

This was on public in thickets where I followed deer trails. Most of it was along the same elevation, and that really opened my eyes too. Makes me think the hunters aren't going into the thorns and aren't going where I will go. I'm going to throw a hunt at it next season anyway.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:46 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
Evanszach7 wrote:Mixed for sure. I typically find 1-2 per season. I get excited if it’s a mature buck in a bedding area. I’ve found fresh beds near dead heads. Typically low pressure areas.

This was on public in thickets where I followed deer trails. Most of it was along the same elevation, and that really opened my eyes too. Makes me think the hunters aren't going into the thorns and aren't going where I will go. I'm going to throw a hunt at it next season anyway.
finding old sheds and dead heads is great if you ask me deer are dying there because its secure and if its old nobody ever walks threw it either that is a win right there 8-)
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:21 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:

finding old sheds and dead heads is great if you ask me deer are dying there because its secure and if its old nobody ever walks threw it either that is a win right there 8-)

Yeah I agree, If there are other hunters around they aren't doing what I'm doing. I agree I think deer are still going to be around and use the area next fall.
JWandling
Facebook: Jason Wandling

Unread postby JWandling » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:43 pm

I found 15 dead on the same hillside in a water hole a few years ago. 7 bucks and 8 does. EHD I’d say.
JWandling
Facebook: Jason Wandling

Unread postby JWandling » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:48 pm

Imageheres a few I carried out with me that day.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:05 pm

If you’re finding dead heads there they feel secure there. Good find.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:48 pm

That's quite the finds. I would say it's good in that your scouting is spot on, but yes kinda a bummer to find em like that.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:

Yeah I agree, If there are other hunters around they aren't doing what I'm doing. I agree I think deer are still going to be around and use the area next fall.

thing too if a deer is wounded it can go miles the deer could have gone a long way too find that security the fact thats where they went means alot
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”