Buck Bedding In Wet Conditions

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JMKro

Buck Bedding In Wet Conditions

Unread postby JMKro » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:55 am

In everyone's experience, how dry does a spot need to be for a buck to bed in it? Obviously, I don't see a buck bedding in standing water, but what if the ground is very saturated (enough to where you sink an inch or two when you take a step)? Over the last few weeks I've found a few spots that seem like good buck bedding locations, and both spots have clusters of old rubs. However, no fresh sign from this past deer season. With that being said, it's been a wetter than normal fall/winter. Pretty much everywhere you walk is wet and muddy.

freezeAR
500 Club

Re: Buck Bedding In Wet Conditions

Unread postby freezeAR » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:00 am

The beds I find with hair in them are dry. They may be surrounded with water but actually bed is dry. A lot of the public I hunt is dependent on the water levels. In some beds I find hair that has been frozen to the ground indicating the deer walked through water prior to lying down.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:18 am

A lot of the flat land beds you will find in wet areas will be just above the water line and not used when water gets to high... They can be surrounded by water, but not in water.
JMKro

Unread postby JMKro » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:13 am

Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it.
Doublejake
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=645026746

Unread postby Doublejake » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:04 am

Just placed a Camera in a area today that is deep snow and frozen over, but spring, summer and fall can be water and marsh timber etc. found a 20-30 yard section that is a nice 4-5 rise. Saturated with beds, pee and droppings. Can’t wait to see what I get in a few months on it. Surrounded areas also have bedding with trees at backs etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”