Topo Clarification

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Drenalin
500 Club

Topo Clarification

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:19 am

I thought I was pretty darn solid on reading topos, but need some help with the idea of a "crow's foot."

My understanding is that the crow's foot occurs when two or more fingers run down into a common bottom, where the toes on the crow's foot are the drainages and the fingers are the spaces between the toes. Is that right?

If that's true, what the heck is the distinction between a crow's foot and a "high" crow's foot?

Drenalin
500 Club

Re: Topo Clarification

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:29 am

This is an example of what I'm thinking for a basic crow's foot. Not a very good one, and nowhere near any place I'll ever hunt, but have I got the concept right where the red lines form the crow's foot?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:17 am

Drenalin as far as definition... I think you are on track. When I am looking at topo maps looking for the crows foot locations... I kind of seek something like this:

If you notice the bold 800' contour line how it makes the crows foot.... This example is an excellent location by the way!! :lol:
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:27 am

Drenalin, I think you gave an example of a crow's foot using the drainages for the foot. When I think of a crow's foot I think of the point of a ridge that splits off into multiple finger ridges, and the crow's foot would be the ridgetops. Maybe the ridgetop crow's foot is a "high" crow's foot. I am not sure though, it's not a term I really use much.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:58 pm

brancher147 wrote:Drenalin, I think you gave an example of a crow's foot using the drainages for the foot. When I think of a crow's foot I think of the point of a ridge that splits off into multiple finger ridges, and the crow's foot would be the ridgetops. Maybe the ridgetop crow's foot is a "high" crow's foot. I am not sure though, it's not a term I really use much.

I’d never used the term much either, and when I did I thought of it the same way you do. Some of Autumn Ninja’s posts brought this up for me. Your explanation, right or wrong, makes good sense.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:05 pm

backstraps wrote:If you notice the bold 800' contour line how it makes the crows foot.... This example is an excellent location by the way!! :lol:

Thanks backstraps. So are you setting up near the bottom of those two points where thermals would be dropping late, and where deer would presumably relate to that cover transition?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:20 pm

It really depends on the wind speed and direction on how I set up.

I tell you what, when I get back to the house tonight, I will set up a scenario on how I have hunted this point on one particular wind and post it here for discussion.

It may help you see how others do it and maybe you guys can add input how y'all would do it
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:24 am

backstraps wrote:It really depends on the wind speed and direction on how I set up.

I tell you what, when I get back to the house tonight, I will set up a scenario on how I have hunted this point on one particular wind and post it here for discussion.

It may help you see how others do it and maybe you guys can add input how y'all would do it

Awesome. Would love to know how other guys are setting up on this type of feature and how it needs to relate to bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”