Big Buck Confirmation. What’s Good Enough For You?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Re: Big Buck Confirmation. What’s Good Enough For You?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 pm

Finding large tracks so far has got me a few encounters with big bucks.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:21 pm

Specifically on public land, what sign is good enough for you to KNOW there’s a big buck in the area?

It depends on the time of the year... if I had access to good private the only difference would be being able to hang cams on field edge food sources.

September- Trail cams away from bedding, big tracks, observation sits. These 3 carry on throughout the season, but in-season trail cams are used less. With cams I’m relying on last year’s that I let soak throughout the season for annual patterns and trying to tie it to hot sign.

October/November - High rubs, fresh scrapes with big tracks, big tracks between doe bedding areas (at creek xings, funnels, pinches, etc)

December- tracks... scouting based on previous season intel

February/March- sheds for late season next year
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:43 am

All of the above. I think first you have to define criteria. If you are the type that gets caught up in scores and need a buck to gross x inches, you better get eyes on a buck that is x inches.
Me, I'm more happy with nicer representative bucks so I tend to start by seeking out areas that are remote enough and with enough escape cover from the rifle army that I know there are going to be bucks that meet my criteria, being a decent population of older bucks.

As far as antler size, like I said, I don't specifically seek out godzilla bucks, so just knowing I am in the game hunting some older bucks is good for me. But obviously visuals are the #1 confirmation. I'm kinda on again off again with trail cameras. They can be a great tool but lead to some pitfalls and frustrations as well. I've jumped bucks when scouting that got me excited, or seeing them on stand. Spotlighting is something if I were after absolute slob bucks I would do more, but again being happy with "good enough" I don't feel it adds any value especially in my big woods settings.

Big tracks definitely get me fired up but tracks can be tough to find in my terrain during drier times of year. Bed size, not something I have a lot of confidence in interpreting. Big rubs, meh, maybe. I'm not personally sold on rub height being vastly more important than tree diameter or general aggression and strength of the buck that did it. Probably my favorite rubs are seeing nice diameter trees just busted off and broken in half. Rubs are complicated to decipher but you can generally tell when a rub is made by something that quite a bit better than a basket rack.

All in all it's just the total picture. When ya know, ya know.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:59 pm

For me its big tracks and high rubs. Even better is if i spot them glassing or shineing
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:22 am

I’m hoping I can get out soon to do some scouting and shed hunting but with all this snow I’ve just stayed in and spent time with the family.

Are there any guys running trail cameras in early months? Where are are you putting yours on public land when it’s cold and snowy?
“You have to pay your dues”
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:04 am

High rubs scream i’m In the area.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”