deer bedding and party balloons

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: deer bedding and party balloons

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:14 pm

You guys might all be crazy :lol: :lol:

I've found many balloons while scouting. Never correlated it with bedding but will keep an eye out in the future.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:59 pm

This is a amazing thread.
This many people noticing it we might all be nuts.

Is kinda a shame this spread to Facebook.
Might increase pressure in our spots.

Can we next determine how good the spot is by the color of the balloon were hunting next too lol.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Barker

Unread postby Barker » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:53 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:This is a amazing thread.

Can we next determine how good the spot is by the color of the balloon were hunting next too lol.

:think: Should I start putting out balloon decoys to draw others away from where I intend to hunt?... :think:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:41 am

It's an offshoot of Fishermen like a message in the bottle...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:40 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:This is a amazing thread.

We can only hope people start scouting for balloons instead of actual deer sign. I'm all for less competition. This phenomena is classic observational bias.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon May 27, 2019 2:47 am

well ive been scouting a lot getting ready for September and im still finding big buck bedding and sign still directly related too it. i wish it didn't just blow up into a joke on facebook though sure its comical but im not joking when i see this trend. i find it in beds and exit trails from bedding where bucks travel. wish people could get over the joke of it and see the seriousness in it. i honestly really believe there is science behind it. that air that draws the balloons draws mature bucks it puts that deer in a place where he can detect everything. in places i hunt with extreme pressure these giant mature bucks seek out these draws and bowls for security bedding and travel. sure big bucks bed on other locations but when the pressure is on thats where they will be. i may have fun and joke around from time too time but when it comes too finding and killing a giant im not kidding.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 27, 2019 4:52 am

ghoasthunter wrote:well ive been scouting a lot getting ready for September and im still finding big buck bedding and sign still directly related too it. i wish it didn't just blow up into a joke on facebook though sure its comical but im not joking when i see this trend. i find it in beds and exit trails from bedding where bucks travel. wish people could get over the joke of it and see the seriousness in it. i honestly really believe there is science behind it. that air that draws the balloons draws mature bucks it puts that deer in a place where he can detect everything. in places i hunt with extreme pressure these giant mature bucks seek out these draws and bowls for security bedding and travel. sure big bucks bed on other locations but when the pressure is on thats where they will be. i may have fun and joke around from time too time but when it comes too finding and killing a giant im not kidding.

I don’t do Facebook so don’t know the joke you speak of. I have seen this enough to absolutely know there is a connection. It’s not like every single party balloon is going to yield a big buck bed but it’s worth paying attention to. Let the haters hate and doubters who think they know everything make their own conclusions. Thinking outside the box is what kills deer. I know plenty of guys that claim they know everything yet haven’t ever killed a big buck. A smart hunter will keep an open mind and never discredit anything.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 27, 2019 4:54 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:You guys might all be crazy :lol: :lol:

I've found many balloons while scouting. Never correlated it with bedding but will keep an eye out in the future.

That’s because I have been marking them on my GPS then picking all the good one’s up. ;)
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon May 27, 2019 2:33 pm

Dewey wrote:

That’s because I have been marking them on my GPS then picking all the good one’s up. ;)

:lol:

Actually, let the jesters jest. There's a reason those balloons landed where they did. Some air current is present that drew them there as opposed to getting stuck in a tree. (which I've also seen) Doesn't mean there will be a bed, but I am going to pay attention to the topography, cover and wind/thermals if I see one.

Let em laugh while you're filling a tag.

PS - Good to see you back ghoast... Haven't seen you post in a while.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Tue May 28, 2019 5:53 am

If I wasn’t a small business owner, I would’ve deleted FB a long time ago. I tried the FB group for a second but just seems full of guys pushing their own things or looking for a quick answer.

The balloon thing seems to be more relevant than a joke based on what I’ve seen too since I came across this original post. My GPS has a new icon for sure.
“You have to pay your dues”
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue May 28, 2019 6:46 am

I didnt really think much of the whole ballon buck bed thing when this thread first started.

But i was scouting this spring and found a ballon in a big buck bed its in a spot almost immposible to bowhunt.
Big beds and rubs everywhere really close to the ballon. Buck can see everything comeing from all around him let alone the possible air current with the ballon.

There were 3 tiny remote island about a half acre in size almost all 3 identical all within 150 yards of eachother but only the one with the ballon had buck bedding. So i think theres more then just a coincedenc.
Danny1977
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/danny.mannywithabigfatfanny/

Unread postby Danny1977 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:09 am

What if the incoming balloons scares the buck out of their bed and they move on to a different property? :o :think: :lol:
Spent all of my money on archery and hunting gear.....the rest I just wasted
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:07 pm

peteherbst wrote:My GPS has a new icon for sure.

This is actually a GREAT idea!! Why not mark every mylar balloon you find and map it out on google earth. With enough samples you could see patterns. It could lead to another "subtle sign" category to help determine mature buck bedding.

I don't do facebook either, so I don't know what comments are being made about the balloon observation, but I do know that the OP (ghoasthunter) is a deer hunting talent on this site. If you can get past the punctuation issues in his posts, you will be enlightened! 8-)
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:34 am

I have been thinking about this and looking for it since this thread started. Typically I don't see many balloons being in a very rural area in a very rural state, but I did find one the other day next to a random doe bed on a logging road. After poking around a little there was a good buck bed within a couple hundred yards overlooking the main access. I don't think it is something that is going to be extremely useful to me, but I will keep my eyes when I see a balloon and check suspected bedding nearby.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:24 am

Dewey wrote:

Lol smart.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”