Most Likely Scenario?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JMKro

Most Likely Scenario?

Unread postby JMKro » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:14 pm

Here's what I observed:

- Large opening that runs north/south

- Strip of trees (approximately 30 yards wide) that runs north/south and is located east of opening

- "Duck Pond" (holds water during normal rain conditions) that runs north/south and is located east of the strip of trees

- Rub line (3-4 rubs) on small group of trees that extend into opening from the east side

- Rub line is in line with a large willow tree located between the opening & the "duck pond"

- None of the rubs were made during the 2018-2019 hunting season (2017-2018 hunting season or earlier)

- Rainfall amounts higher than normal during 2018-2019 hunting season (currently 4"-6" of water in this area)

- Available water sources on opposite side of opening (during normal rain conditions)

What sounds like the most likely scenario as to why these rubs were made in this location?

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Most Likely Scenario?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:08 am

JMKro wrote:Here's what I observed:

- Large opening that runs north/south

- Strip of trees (approximately 30 yards wide) that runs north/south and is located east of opening

- "Duck Pond" (holds water during normal rain conditions) that runs north/south and is located east of the strip of trees

- Rub line (3-4 rubs) on small group of trees that extend into opening from the east side

- Rub line is in line with a large willow tree located between the opening & the "duck pond"

- None of the rubs were made during the 2018-2019 hunting season (2017-2018 hunting season or earlier)

- Rainfall amounts higher than normal during 2018-2019 hunting season (currently 4"-6" of water in this area)

- Available water sources on opposite side of opening (during normal rain conditions)

What sounds like the most likely scenario as to why these rubs were made in this location?

Without being able to see it up close, its pretty tough to make an educated guess. There are several factors that may have induced the rubbing you describe, including the opening itself, the edge it creates for potential travel and scent checking and then there's a water hole / duck pond. Each of those factors will often induce rubbing.

Bridge
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 am

I would venture to guess a buck called that place home for a season or two, sound like a classic island bed or large lone tree bed with a pond nearby to help pull thermals. Obviously if you didn't see fresh rubs last year the bed may not have been used but it could still be used and they just didn't make rubs last year. Sound like a spot worth keeping any eye on and doing some in season scouting to see if a potential target buck is in the area or using the beds.
JMKro

Unread postby JMKro » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 am

headgear wrote:I would venture to guess a buck called that place home for a season or two, sound like a classic island bed or large lone tree bed with a pond nearby to help pull thermals. Obviously if you didn't see fresh rubs last year the bed may not have been used but it could still be used and they just didn't make rubs last year. Sound like a spot worth keeping any eye on and doing some in season scouting to see if a potential target buck is in the area or using the beds.

That's what I was thinking, but this was my first time scouting public land and it kind of seemed too good to be true ha ha! Just my nature I guess :D

The only reason I found the rubs was because I noticed the willow tree and said, "Well, they talk about bucks bedding around willow trees so I'll go take a look." It's been a wetter than normal fall/winter, so I attributed the lack of fresh rubs due to the fact that the area currently has standing water (probably 4"-6"), and has probably had standing water all deer season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”