False Color IR (CalTopo)

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

False Color IR (CalTopo)

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:54 am

Really trying to figure out the 80% of CalTopo that I don't utilize. Been looking at the False Color IR layer and was wondering a few things. It seems to highlight the contrast between pines and hardwoods. Pines and thick cover are green in color and hardwoods seem to be reddish and up to bright pink.

My first thought is, when cyber scouting, can I use this to determine where a buck might head when he leaves his bed? For example, if there's a bright pink section 100 yards from a potential bedding point, do you think that could be a destination food source when he leaves his bed?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
EdC

Re: False Color IR (CalTopo)

Unread postby EdC » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:22 am

I think this is where boots on the ground will confirm this

I've been doing a lot of cyberscouting and confirming with boots on the ground and my assumptions have been wrong
on the up side of things I'm learning how the deer are traveling and utilizing the area
then I'm going back and marking up my maps
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:07 pm

funderburk wrote:Really trying to figure out the 80% of CalTopo that I don't utilize. Been looking at the False Color IR layer and was wondering a few things. It seems to highlight the contrast between pines and hardwoods. Pines and thick cover are green in color and hardwoods seem to be reddish and up to bright pink.

My first thought is, when cyber scouting, can I use this to determine where a buck might head when he leaves his bed? For example, if there's a bright pink section 100 yards from a potential bedding point, do you think that could be a destination food source when he leaves his bed?

That ir is great for swamp hunting it helps me pin point some smaller islands and stuff that dont stick out as much other wise! Learning to use the feature of caltopo has its advantages! I like caltopo i use it the most. Great tool!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:32 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:
funderburk wrote:Really trying to figure out the 80% of CalTopo that I don't utilize. Been looking at the False Color IR layer and was wondering a few things. It seems to highlight the contrast between pines and hardwoods. Pines and thick cover are green in color and hardwoods seem to be reddish and up to bright pink.

That ir is great for swamp hunting it helps me pin point some smaller islands and stuff that dont stick out as much other wise! Learning to use the feature of caltopo has its advantages! I like caltopo i use it the most. Great tool!

Shhhhhhh! don't say that to loudly!!!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:10 am

Can you tell us where to find the false IR layer? I cant find it...
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:08 am

Hatchet Jack wrote:

Yea man. Go to “Map Layers” and then click the “Base Layers” tab and it’ll be on that list.
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:23 am

funderburk wrote:
Hatchet Jack wrote:

Yea man. Go to “Map Layers” and then click the “Base Layers” tab and it’ll be on that list.

Found it, thanks!
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:29 am

UPDATE: Been doing some more research on false color infrared and learning some pretty cool stuff - like what the heck it is! :lol:

Basically, when used in an aerial image, the areas with vegetation (leafy stuff) will show up bright red or pink. For me hunting big woods and hill country this is huge as I’ll know better where the pockets of oaks are located without having to guess so much or add unnecessary pressure. Should help me lock down nighttime feeding locations and then link a travel route to bedding.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:18 am

funderburk wrote:UPDATE: Been doing some more research on false color infrared and learning some pretty cool stuff - like what the heck it is! :lol:

Basically, when used in an aerial image, the areas with vegetation (leafy stuff) will show up bright red or pink. For me hunting big woods and hill country this is huge as I’ll know better where the pockets of oaks are located without having to guess so much or add unnecessary pressure. Should help me lock down nighttime feeding locations and then link a travel route to bedding.

What color are the oaks compared to say maple/poplar woods? Have you been able to get to that level of detail?
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:33 am

cspot wrote:
funderburk wrote:UPDATE: Been doing some more research on false color infrared and learning some pretty cool stuff - like what the heck it is! :lol:

What color are the oaks compared to say maple/poplar woods? Have you been able to get to that level of detail?

Not sure how distinguishable that will be. Getting boots on the ground will certainly clarify food sources, but the false color IR will help isolate potential patches.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:40 am

funderburk wrote:
cspot wrote:

Not sure how distinguishable that will be. Getting boots on the ground will certainly clarify food sources, but the false color IR will help isolate potential patches.

That is kinda what I am seeing as I was just playing around with it. The areas I was looking at the oaks are bright pink, but so are some other species.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:02 am

cspot wrote:

http://maps.dcnr.pa.gov/bof/huntmap/index.html

PA DCNR has an interactive maps for state forests with decent layers for this. You can map out oak forests, young aspen, and thermal cover (hemlocks). It's not accurate down to individual trees but I've used it to scout broad areas.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”