finding anothers stand question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

finding anothers stand question

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:57 pm

I was scouting some public this weekend in an area that has a ton of public. This particular property was fairly easy to access but was a mile back in. I found buck beds right where I thought they might be, and then located a bunch of doe beds that just happened to have a stand hanging above them in a tree. I would guess it to be a gun hunters stand but I have know way of knowing. Would you guys just forget about the spot for bowhunting or just plan to hunt the beds as I found them? There were several other much better spots to set up, but depending how the person with the stand walks into his stand it might wreck a lot of them.

hambone
500 Club

Re: finding anothers stand question

Unread postby hambone » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 pm

Personally, I would more than likely move along.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:06 am

Hunt it and see what you figure out. Here in PA we have stands left in the woods everywhere. You'd never hunt if you avoided all the stands.

Scouting other hunters is a large part of the equation. Read the sign to try to figure out how frequently they use it. It's not just stands, you have to lookout for marks on trees from climbers and stands, cut off branches, broken branches, access trails, flagging, tacks, a lot goes into it and figuring it all out. Some of the stands get pounded, many are abandoned, and some used only in rifle season. I had a sit this year where there was an old ladderstand in the "right" tree so I just climbed above it and set up. Pretty sure it was a rifle only stand and it's been there for at least 3 years straight so it is also illegal.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Unread postby Seeker529 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:22 am

I’d try to find the escape routes from them beds and setup on them and let that guy spook them out to you!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:53 am

You have to assess each spot on its own, I almost shot the biggest buck of my life under another guys old stand. Sometimes people abandon them or rarely hunt them, if there is a buck around and the sign is there I am hunting that area I don't care who is around. Other spots I don't bother with but I would never rule out a spot 100% because of a stand because you just never know.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:10 am

I would rather find a stand that looks as if it hasn't been used much than boot prints or flagging tape. I would look to see if the buck sign was fresher than the human sign. If so hunt it. You will determine pretty quickly what you are more likely to see.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:32 pm

Think I picked the tip up from here, but If I’m interested in the spot or nearby, I’ll lean a stick on the stand. Depending on how frequently you’re in the area, or just passing by that stand, it’ll tell you if it’s being used.

My personal preferences:

Old 2x4 built stand- I’m likely to hunt nearby
Rusty hang on/ladder: fair game
New set- I’m hunting the stand, anticipating bucks circling downwind of it similar to some scrapes, if it ends up being where I was targeting near bedding
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:43 pm

My guess is if there are buck beds near it then it isn't getting hunted much if at all. Sometimes if you look thru binocs you can see the condition of the stand and have an idea if it is being used.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:13 pm

I wouldn't write this spot off just yet. I think you made a good point in your post. You said you found buck beds, doe beds, and a stand. So more than likely the stand is a rut stand for a week or two in November and forgotten about the other 50 weeks. Keep note of it and if the sign in the area shows a good buck next year you know where he may be bedding. I have several stands such as the one you described, one of my best is 100 yds from a parking lot right off the main access trail. Learn to think different, sometimes when you learn to pattern other hunters instead of the deer you may be surprised what you find.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:58 am

Its tough to decifer some times. Really depends on how often that hunter comes there. If its not a ladder stand, then I always chalk them up as rut stands or possibly opening weekend.

If you found buck bedding that could be good all year then its worth trying to "out hunt" the other guy. Generally this will mean hunting early/late season when most guys dont bow hunt. If its real close to does, then could just be rut bedding. In which case, access when most guys take their rutcation and attack before then. Weekdays and bad weather days are also good times to attack. If you go in for a AM rut hunt then just plan on that hunter possibly messing it up. Try to setup based on the buck sign and how hunter should enter. Adjust and put an arrow through that buck!

Any stand that has ladder or sticks all the way to ground its not un-common to see bucks or deer adjust their movements to down wind out, of bow range of that stand. In the AM a buck likely will scent check down wind of that stand too. SO a hunter's stand can work in your favor w the right situation.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:26 am

I hang a branch on a step when I find stands like that. I'm always amazed at the amount of times I come back a year later and it's still there.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:47 am

check the expiration dates on the candy bar wrappers under it i used that trick the other day. i also check the age of the straps holding them on and if the tree growing has shifted the stand around. platforms will kick up as the tree grows and ladder stand ladders will start too separate sections over time as tree grows. bow hooks and steps will turn the bark black around the hole they made. liken will also start growing on straps over time. also just simply check the bark where contact was made climbing and look for places where someone was fiddling peeling bark or breaking small branches off tree.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:08 pm

Its public, be considerate and don't step on your fellow hunter, but hunt the deer!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Its public, be considerate and don't step on your fellow hunter, but hunt the deer!

Yep. And if the sign says to hunt close to that stand, that’s fine. Just have a plan b at the ready if the other guy is there first or walks in and throws a fit.

In a nice way, you are asking for it. But risk vs reward right? Nothing wrong with it, just be prepared for it
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks for the help, It is just a stand, he did not have any sticks or steps leading up to it. I have picked out several spots that if he is there it would only help me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”