The scouting stops

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Doublejake
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=645026746

The scouting stops

Unread postby Doublejake » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:45 am

It’s unfortunate that we got over knee high snow and extreme negative conditions. The cold is fine but the deep snow in combination of that tells me that I don’t want to get out and push Deer around while looking for new areas to Hunt, and that the deep snow is going too hide a great % of what I’m looking for. So boots on the ground is going too have to be halted and a lot more Cyber Scouting planning begins.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: The scouting stops

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:03 am

Doublejake wrote:It’s unfortunate that we got over knee high snow and extreme negative conditions. The cold is fine but the deep snow in combination of that tells me that I don’t want to get out and push Deer around while looking for new areas to Hunt, and that the deep snow is going too hide a great % of what I’m looking for. So boots on the ground is going too have to be halted and a lot more Cyber Scouting planning begins.

i use this time too prep trees in areas i know and figure out entry and exit strategies i bring 550 cord and tie back trees and brush too make shooting lanes. i also go in and set trail cams on travel routs entering and exiting bedding. there are still things you can do while waiting for season. i just do low impact stuff while the deer are trying too winter. if i dont keep working at it i wont get everything finished for next year. i also like looking for tracks of big bucks so i have spots too check for antlers in spring. i walk the perimeters of the bedding and follow deer tracks leading in and out so i know where they are going. if im not doing that im ice fishing or fly fishing.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:55 am

Understandable, but I'm with Ghosthunter on this one. I personally dont have enough info on my areas so I'm out walking new areas, looking for signs of other hunters, etc... I know walking(trudging :lol: ) can be tough, but always something to learn....besides, the view is awesome.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Doublejake

Unread postby Doublejake » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:01 am

creepingdeth wrote:Understandable, but I'm with Ghosthunter on this one. I personally dont have enough info on my areas so I'm out walking new areas, looking for signs of other hunters, etc... I know walking(trudging :lol: ) can be tough, but always something to learn....besides, the view is awesome.

I had plans to get boots on the ground almost every weekend. Maybe after the weather warms up some of the snow will reside and make it easier. It’s currently over the knees and my old back and legs don’t like it much. Lol
Doublejake

Unread postby Doublejake » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:13 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Doublejake wrote:It’s unfortunate that we got over knee high snow and extreme negative conditions. The cold is fine but the deep snow in combination of that tells me that I don’t want to get out and push Deer around while looking for new areas to Hunt, and that the deep snow is going too hide a great % of what I’m looking for. So boots on the ground is going too have to be halted and a lot more Cyber Scouting planning begins.

i use this time too prep trees in areas i know and figure out entry and exit strategies i bring 550 cord and tie back trees and brush too make shooting lanes. i also go in and set trail cams on travel routs entering and exiting bedding. there are still things you can do while waiting for season. i just do low impact stuff while the deer are trying too winter. if i dont keep working at it i wont get everything finished for next year. i also like looking for tracks of big bucks so i have spots too check for antlers in spring. i walk the perimeters of the bedding and follow deer tracks leading in and out so i know where they are going. if im not doing that im ice fishing or fly fishing.

I’m not allowed to cut any branches where I hunt. But the rope method I had heard about a month ago etc. I think that late spring is best for that in my opinion after the tree sprouts and leaves etc. I don’t have any specific trees picked out in new areas yet. Just learning new areas. I have not done a set on those property’s. It’s all been walking.
I have had my climber and 8 permanent stands up. Farm sold and I had to remove my permanent stands etc. so that’s one of the reasons why I’m learning new areas.
I was lucky enough to get a lone wolf Alpha 2 and a set of four lone wolf sticks for Christmas. I have not hung it once yet and have already replaced the straps, cloth camo taped the sticks, and made a lineman’s belt with the ropeman1 etc. I have a lot of work to do learning how to set up quietly, as well as find new locations. I decided to go with a hang on stand because I have spent 20-30 mins going back and fourth in the woods trying to figure out the best tree for the climber to be set up in. My new setup will eliminate a lot of the Issues I had.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:17 pm

Doublejake wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

I’m not allowed to cut any branches where I hunt. But the rope method I had heard about a month ago etc. I think that late spring is best for that in my opinion after the tree sprouts and leaves etc. I don’t have any specific trees picked out in new areas yet. Just learning new areas. I have not done a set on those property’s. It’s all been walking.
I have had my climber and 8 permanent stands up. Farm sold and I had to remove my permanent stands etc. so that’s one of the reasons why I’m learning new areas.
I was lucky enough to get a lone wolf Alpha 2 and a set of four lone wolf sticks for Christmas. I have not hung it once yet and have already replaced the straps, cloth camo taped the sticks, and made a lineman’s belt with the ropeman1 etc. I have a lot of work to do learning how to set up quietly, as well as find new locations. I decided to go with a hang on stand because I have spent 20-30 mins going back and fourth in the woods trying to figure out the best tree for the climber to be set up in. My new setup will eliminate a lot of the Issues I had.

nice sounds like you have something too do then. you can start practicing doing climbs buy the time you can scout you should have a pretty good system figured out 8-)
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Good call man. This is something that I always take into consideration this time if year. If the deer are really stressed out the last thing I want to do is go pounding through all their bedding areas and pushing them around.
cdg097
Facebook: cdg097@yahoo.com

Unread postby cdg097 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:50 pm

The only issue I could see with waiting until green-up, is that you don’t get an accurate view of what things will look like in after the leaves have dropped. Tying back your shooting lanes right now ensures that things replicate how things will look next fall, and also that you aren’t tying back stuff that isn’t needed/too much, know what I mean?
Doublejake wrote:
Doublejake

Unread postby Doublejake » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:06 am

[quote="cdg097"]The only issue I could see with waiting until green-up, is that you don’t get an accurate view of what things will look like in after the leaves have dropped. Tying back your shooting lanes right now ensures that things replicate how things will look next fall, and also that you aren’t tying back stuff that isn’t needed/too much, know what I mean?[quote="Doublejake"]

Yah I hear yah, good point.
Doublejake

Unread postby Doublejake » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:27 pm

I’m pretty happy that we got a full day of rain a couple days ago and took care of a lot of the snow.
With that said I went out Today and checked out a new area, some possibilities on the property. Will need to go back and check the rest of it and go over the areas again in the spring.
I back tracked a big a Buck track and found a primary Bedding or what appears to be. Only downside to that is the tree stands left up by Hunters that are supposed to be taken down at this time of the year. Possibly Hunters trying to keep the area for themselves and deter anyone else from setting up in that spot.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:18 am

The biggest bummer about deep snow is the amount of effort it takes to scout. Last Saturday I scouted a little over three miles of transitions and swamp, it was about three hours of walking. We’ve got about an additional foot of snow since then, I want to get out scouting more but I think i’ll wait for a bit of a warm up or let the snow settle a bit. I hike through powder at times for work and it is absolutely exhausting. Prepping trees or shooting lanes is a great idea because there’s a lot of sign hidden beneath the snow and who knows what you’d be missing.
Persistence is undefeated.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Deep snow sucks! I Don't really like scouting in it. Prepping tree's and access routes is always an option.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”