Swamp bedding and associated sign

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

freezeAR
500 Club

Swamp bedding and associated sign

Unread postby freezeAR » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:56 am

Thought I would share a recent scouting trip to public I have not hunted in some time. I was studying some maps when a spot jumped out at me. Slipped in for a morning hunt and then done some scouting. On my way to check out what originally peaked my interest I came across some old sign. Near the pictures below was a wide track.

I was thinking with the old big tracks and the rubs that have obviously been rubbed for a couple years that I might be onto something. I continued to work toward the swamp and found some good bedding. I will post pics of a few of the better beds.

I thought the next two beds were especially interesting. Two trees had fallen down and formed sort of a "T". The buck could bed on either side based on wind direction and be hidden really well.

The last picture is the access to the dry land.

I did not find a lot of fresh big tracks. I found old sign and good bedding cover. I suspect the bedding to be used primarily early season to pre-rut. There is some agriculture nearby and a lot of oaks. The cover provided by the swamp and the thick vegetation would also work out better prior to duck season. I found some squirrel hunting pressure on the mainland and the sloughs had some duck hunters. The islands of dry land was also browsed really heavily.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”