Bedding Setup Help

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cjinscore

Bedding Setup Help

Unread postby cjinscore » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:27 am

Hey Beast Nation! First post here, but I have been hunting beast style and following Dan for about the past two years.

I located a bedding area today that I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to approach and where to hang my stand.

Please see the following screen shots. Note this is not the entire farm. The entire property is 200 ac and this is the dead center of it.

The red circle is the bedding location. The blue line is a rub line, and the yellow line is typical access to the property. I am guessing he is bedding there on a south west wind? With his back to the pond so he can watch anyone's approach into the farm. I guess I am having a hard time figuring out which way he will leave the bed.

Any help you guys can provide would be awesome, I've got three weeks left in our season to try and get him. Hope you all have had a great season so far!

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Bedding Setup Help

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:05 am

I don’t think a southwest wind would give him any kind of advantage, especially if he was facing away from the pond. I’d guess hes there with a north wind to scent the woods and maybe even looking out over the water. It would just depend on how thick the woods are where he’s bedding.
cjinscore

Unread postby cjinscore » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:27 am

Its thick right next to upstream side of the pond where I circled (privet and tag alder), its also surrounded by a lot of eastern red cedar.

However, 50 yards uphill is a typical open eastern woodlot with shortleaf pine and white oak.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:31 am

checkerfred wrote:I don’t think a southwest wind would give him any kind of advantage, especially if he was facing away from the pond. I’d guess hes there with a north wind to scent the woods and maybe even looking out over the water. It would just depend on how thick the woods are where he’s bedding.

I was thinking the same thing. The cover will dictate what wind he's bedding there on. What direction was the bed facing? Where was the back cover? From the look of your rubline, he seems to be heading E/SE. I would try looping around to the pond to the east, and setting up to his SSE a close as you think you can get away with. Maybe between the pond & the rubline.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
cjinscore

Unread postby cjinscore » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:45 am

tgreeno wrote:
checkerfred wrote:I don’t think a southwest wind would give him any kind of advantage, especially if he was facing away from the pond. I’d guess hes there with a north wind to scent the woods and maybe even looking out over the water. It would just depend on how thick the woods are where he’s bedding.

I was thinking the same thing. The cover will dictate what wind he's bedding there on. What direction was the bed facing? Where was the back cover? From the look of your rubline, he seems to be heading E/SE. I would try looping around to the pond to the east, and setting up to his SSE a close as you think you can get away with. Maybe between the pond & the rubline.

The bed was facing east maybe east north east. almost right up against the water with surrounded by tag alder and cedar.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:27 am

cjinscore wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

The bed was facing east maybe east north east. almost right up against the water with surrounded by tag alder and cedar.

I could be wrong here but I’d still guess he’s using the wind from the wooded side. Of course there’s always the possibility of some kind of wind swirl there with a southerly wind. I think Tgreenos idea of setting up is a good one.
cjinscore

Unread postby cjinscore » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:42 am

Thank you both for your input, I will give it a shot and see what happens!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”