Topo Map Feedback

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jdt367

Topo Map Feedback

Unread postby jdt367 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:07 am

Hey all,
New member here, trying to learn. First post. Question is can I submit some maps for feedback on areas I should target for scouting? And if that's cool, do I do it here?

James

backstraps

Re: Topo Map Feedback

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:18 am

Welcome to the BEAST James

Feel free to post up your maps in the Scouting Forum. You will get help..but remember season is still going and many Beast are still chasing a buck or two... so be patient and keep thenthread alive

Be sure and edit out any identifying names or coordinates before posting
jdt367

Unread postby jdt367 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Backstraps, thanks.

All, maps are embedded, with topo and satellite imagery. Any feedback is appreciated. Some spots seem obvious to me, but I am relatively new to this so confirmation, input, suggestions, questions, whatever, I am happy to hear.

..... well. how do I add images to my post?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 pm

I use post image to add pics to tue forum

Just upload the images, click share and choose the link to add to the forum
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Also, what kind of info are you looking for?

Possible bedding sights, possible scouting sights, hunting sights etc

Will you be early season hunting primarily, rut, late season or mixture of all of above

Also post what your prevailing wind is
jdt367

Unread postby jdt367 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:19 pm

No clue. I add the links to the images, they don't show up. folder with maps are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l3bl1j433wv5 ... SHIua?dl=0

Prevailing windows are from SE and NW, mostly. Warm days blow from SE, cold from NW. I'm really just looking for general info on finding beds or how to scout the areas in the maps.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:50 pm

I can repost the images for you. Nothing like I hunt. I do mostly Hill and Farm Country. Hopefully someone will chime in tonoffer advise

jdt367

Unread postby jdt367 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks!
jdt367

Unread postby jdt367 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:36 am

Should I maybe be asking a different question here? I'm really looking for input on where to scout for bedding based on the maps provided. Are the map areas too large? Not enough detail?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:56 am

jdt367 wrote:Should I maybe be asking a different question here? I'm really looking for input on where to scout for bedding based on the maps provided. Are the map areas too large? Not enough detail?

Most guys will have more time to help map in the off season.

Looks like plenty of ground to keep ya busy.If youre still new to finding beds then best strategy is take your best guess, plan an efficient route and walk that 1/3 elevation, letting sign lead the way and learnign what to look for. Concentrate on elevation changes/drop offs and concentrate on back cover. Try to locate ridge points close together for different winds too. It allows the deer to switch bedding in daylight and stay close to where he has been. First thing is mark up a map with all the access points and then use mapping tool to measure distances.

x2 spots I can almost always find decent buck bedding is watching/smelling access trails and getting away from access much as possible. Most people will walk further w a rifle and no stand on their back but not always. If this is foot traffic only location you may have something here. Lots and lots of timber for a deer to grow. I have found some ladder stands deep in the woods that make me wonder how hard of a job that was... To be honest, I really like property lines. Its easy for a deer to hop that line to avoid danger. Also, try using google earth and back dating the maps to find old burn/clear cut areas. Great first place to start. You find one on a ridge point, away from parking theres a great chance something lives there.

One spot that really jumps out to me is the 2nd Topo map. Where the #9 is looks like some good bedding points and its a penninsula surrounded by water. Looks good to me
jdt367

Unread postby jdt367 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:26 am

DK, thanks for the feedback. I'm still learning how to look at these maps and figure out where to start, so I really appreciate you responding.

All of this is wildlife management area, these specific areas are bow only. There are only 4 rifle hunts a year on the WMA as whole, but not in these areas. The second map is an actual wildlife refuge. All access is foot traffic only. I'll start dissecting the map like you suggested, and then get out there and look around.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”