Big Buck Track Measurements

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Big Buck Track Measurements

Unread postby SamPotter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:40 am

Dewey wrote:
dagger wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:
dagger wrote:Image

From the back of the due claws to the toe: 6-3/4
4-1/8 wide

Now thats a big buck track! :dance: I have come across a few of those but but not many, but i have found servral close to it!

I think it's probably the biggest I've seen. I've found a few that were very close to this but not many. It's very exciting when you find a track lunch keep this.

Looks like a moose track. :o

Never seen a hoof and dew claws splayed that far apart. Must have been extremely heavy.

Or running

dagger

Unread postby dagger » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:48 am

Dewey wrote:
dagger wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:
dagger wrote:Image

From the back of the due claws to the toe: 6-3/4
4-1/8 wide

Now thats a big buck track! :dance: I have come across a few of those but but not many, but i have found servral close to it!

I think it's probably the biggest I've seen. I've found a few that were very close to this but not many. It's very exciting when you find a track lunch keep this.

Looks like a moose track. :o

Never seen a hoof and dew claws splayed that far apart. Must have been extremely heavy.

It sure is a huge track, definitely not a moose. It's very easy to recognize it in the woods not only from the size and shape of toes but cause the dew claws are so far apart. I saw him on the hoof for sure once when I was tracking him during rifle season, needless to say he gave me the slip on multiple occasions.
dagger

Unread postby dagger » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:53 am

Here's another picture of the same buck, different track. These tracks were extremely fresh. I had gotten this boy up out of his bed trying to find his sheds.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:57 pm

Definately a nice buck! How big do you think he is? Is his rack proportional to his hoof? I tracked a large hoof print one time to a large body small rack buck. Always nice when they have them both.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
dagger

Unread postby dagger » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:18 pm

may21581 wrote:Definately a nice buck! How big do you think he is? Is his rack proportional to his hoof? I tracked a large hoof print one time to a large body small rack buck. Always nice when they have them both.

Honestly I don't know what he has on his head. He could be big body small rack but there is some really good bucks in the area so he could have both. I'm debating whether to put a camera in there or not. I know where his main bedding area is so I may opt to try get him the old fashioned way. He should go well over 200 lbs sporting a hoof like that. All I know is, I don't care if he has spikes on his head I'll be shooting cause he's huge no matter what. :lol:
dagger

Unread postby dagger » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:23 pm

This is one of many rubs he did like this. It's about 4-1/2 feet tall and he delimbed this tree so I'm pretty sure he's got something decent on his head :think:
dagger

Unread postby dagger » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:23 pm

dagger wrote:This is one of many rubs he did like this. It's about 4-1/2 feet tall and he delimbed this tree so I'm pretty sure he's got something decent on his head :think:

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:58 pm

dagger wrote:
may21581 wrote:Definately a nice buck! How big do you think he is? Is his rack proportional to his hoof? I tracked a large hoof print one time to a large body small rack buck. Always nice when they have them both.

Honestly I don't know what he has on his head. He could be big body small rack but there is some really good bucks in the area so he could have both. I'm debating whether to put a camera in there or not. I know where his main bedding area is so I may opt to try get him the old fashioned way. He should go well over 200 lbs sporting a hoof like that. All I know is, I don't care if he has spikes on his head I'll be shooting cause he's huge no matter what. :lol:

Definitely need a camera in there to see what your dealing with. I’m sure I’m not the only one here that would like to see the maker of those tracks. ;)
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:01 am

I hope you can get a picture, I would love to see him! I had a track like that on a property I hunt and I ended up playing cat and mouse game with him. Just when I thought I had his picture I would have a camera fail, or an sd card problem and the list goes on. I called him the "ghost" because it seemed like that's what I was chasing. Just a hoof print to haunt my daily thoughts. Be even better if he ends up on the wall.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
dagger

Unread postby dagger » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:14 am

Dewey wrote:
dagger wrote:

Definitely need a camera in there to see what your dealing with. I’m sure I’m not the only one here that would like to see the maker of those tracks. ;)

Haha, all of my hunting buddies have told me the same thing. I guess with this much pressure I'll have to do it I'll see if I can get a camera in there this week.
dagger

Unread postby dagger » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:22 am

may21581 wrote:I hope you can get a picture, I would love to see him! I had a track like that on a property I hunt and I ended up playing cat and mouse game with him. Just when I thought I had his picture I would have a camera fail, or an sd card problem and the list goes on. I called him the "ghost" because it seemed like that's what I was chasing. Just a hoof print to haunt my daily thoughts. Be even better if he ends up on the wall.

I know what you mean about that, I've played that game with other bucks in the past. I think it ended up being a detriment to me trying to kill him.

This particular buck lives in a piece that's about 1900-2000 acres of nothing but woods and swamp that has no roads going through it and all around it there's more land that's the same so hopefully I can get a crack at him next year but we'll see. I did shoot a decent ten point in there this season while still hunting in the snow. I only had a second to make a decision whether or not to shoot and it didn't end up being the big boy but that's ok, he's still there for the chase so we'll just see what happens.

I'll get a camera in there and see if I can get a photo of him.
dagger

Unread postby dagger » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:29 am

I feel like I hijacked this thread. I apologise for that, it wasn't my intent to do that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”