LISTENING TO RUMORS

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rfickes87
500 Club

LISTENING TO RUMORS

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:56 am

Well I was fortunate enough to have a successful year. Now I'm prepping for next season. Looking forward to scouting my tail off now.

This time of year everyone is talking. People come up to me at work and tell me about a big one they just saw along the road or when they were hunting. As a beast hunter I've never been more inclined to listen in on these stories. I used to not even really think about other ppl's sightings.

One particular area has really captured my attention after multiple people telling me stories. I have kind of overlooked it b/c I know how much pressure it gets. I haven't really hunted it since I was a kid and we hardly ever saw deer when we would hunt. But also I don't hunt now like the way I was raised to hunt. Being a bed hunter now I just started cyber scouting this area and I'm seeing boat loads of possible hard to access big buck bedding areas that I must scout this spring. I'm kicking myself for not giving it a thought before. I'm feeling very confident that what others are seeing from their vehicles along the road after dark, I may be able to see on the hoof in stand next year.

Anyone else listen to rumors? Put in the work after hearing others talk? Just thought I'd leave it open for discussion...

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
headgear
500 Club

Re: LISTENING TO RUMORS

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:11 am

I listen to everything but need to verify it on my own before hunting, many of them don't pan out but some do. A lot depends on the source, some of them you just take with a grain of salt but others seem plenty credible and are worth further investigation. Ask for details, that seems to be where you can separate a credible sighting from just another basket rack posing as a big deer.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:01 am

I told a guy one time about where I thought a big buck was hanging out, sure looked big to me. He went in to hunt it(I couldn't ) and said my big buck was not even P&Y eight pointer :lol:. I'm a little suspect in his eyes now :oops:
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:22 am

Scout it out this spring the sign doesn't lie. I pretty much only hunt public land and you wouldnt believe the amount of pressure some areas get that I hunt yet they hold some good bucks. I started hunting one area this year that looked promising via sat images ran into a guy in the parking lot last time there that told me about several giants that came out a that area over the years
I've already seen sign from 3 yr old bucks on my 3 hunts in that area prior to that so I believe him. That and the place will eat you alive I've been wet from the waist down 2 out a 3 hunts there trying to access the tougher areas makes for a cold sit now that its below freezing
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:36 am

I heard a rumor Iowa has big deer.. I’m gonna apply
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:44 am

Hawthorne wrote:I heard a rumor Iowa has big deer.. I’m gonna apply

:lol:
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:36 am

Timing of the rumors can be very crucial. Back in August, I was told by someone who has hunted for many years that he saw two of the biggest bucks in his life hanging around (velvet bucks can be very deceiving). I wondered about possibly trying to hunt them but figured they'd be long gone come Oct. 1 season. I should have hung a trail cam or two. I might have a chance meeting with them yet this year, IF they are alive and still in the area.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:03 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I told a guy one time about where I thought a big buck was hanging out, sure looked big to me. He went in to hunt it(I couldn't ) and said my big buck was not even P&Y eight pointer :lol:. I'm a little suspect in his eyes now :oops:

The buck you told me about was even bigger than you thought.

Your good in my eyes. ;)
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:51 am

Well, that's an iffy subject. Some people idea of big and your idea of big may be a million miles apart. Sometimes people seen one in a spot several years ago so they automatically assume it's still there. And then there are those that just like to talk. And e ery now and then they weren't lying and there is one in the area.
You really need to be open minded and put your beast skills to work. You never know what may be lurking on a property! A story from a fellow hunter actually got me onto a big buck this year. Long story short I had him at 5 yds and I was distracted by a doe and he snuck in on me and I lost the shot. The guy wasn't lying though!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Can't really say I have. Not exposed to much deer talk day to day. Only have a couple hunting buddies in real life, none local. And work with white collar types not too much hunting talk in my life day to day which I guess is what draws me here!

Not sure I would act on intel in most situations, kinda like doing it all myself always been independent, some would say a little too much so.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm surprise how loose some peoples lips are in public land parking lots. At least a couple times a year I get someone telling me about the "big one" they saw last year "over there". You never now if it's just talk or reality. I'll usually check it out and make my own opinion about it, after scouting. Unless I see it with my own eyes, or hear it from a trusted friend, I'm always skeptical.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:39 pm

Sounds promising to me. Don't let pressure deter you. When I was a SD resident I drove by what ended up being my best spot for two years because it always had trucks in the parking lot. They're there for a reason ;) Use the pressure to your advantage. Like Dan says if there are big bucks on a property there are overlooked spots. Dive into the suspected bedding, verify the big buck sign and then find everyone else's stands. As long as they're a few hundred yards or more away from the bedding you should be good. Especially if there's a water barrier separating their set(s) and the bedding.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:40 pm

If you can run cams on public I would sure as heck put them out there now.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:47 pm

I'm always listening and following up on tips of good buck and buck sign sightings. Wish I could return the favor, but these lips are sealed! :shhh:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:50 am

Sign don't lie... Gotta walk it and confirm.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”