Understanding aerial photo features

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

moosilauke18

Understanding aerial photo features

Unread postby moosilauke18 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:36 am

I was just aerial scouting a property that I might head to in the next few weeks to do some in season scouting. And I noticed 3 bare patches of land on the aerial photo with trails seemingly crossing them. I'm trying to figure out what is the reason for the bare patches. It is public land pretty far from a trailhead, but it could be close if accessed through private land. It is a marshy area. For reference the largest is about 30 yards wide. Any ideas on what those bare patches might be from? And if I should spend more time to scout this?

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Understanding aerial photo features

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:24 am

I would suspect it to be too wet to sustain trees or deep rooted vegetation. So it's probably grass or cat tails or similar.
moosilauke18

Unread postby moosilauke18 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:24 pm

So based on that, I should be looking in the areas around the cattails (isolated trees) for buck bedding. My other question is would a buck bed in the marsh or in a hill around the marsh? Here's a topo of the area around that marsh. I was planning on checking the marsh for buck sigh via an observation stand on the north end. On the north end and east end of the marsh is a taller hill. Image
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:39 pm

my observations is that the wet area will get less pressure and I would go there first. Always hard to say though without seeing the where you'll be accessing and the cover.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”