Big woods mapping?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TheMinimalistHunter

Big woods mapping?

Unread postby TheMinimalistHunter » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:27 am

I’ve hunted this place a few times but going to take it more seriously this year with the new Beast knowledge I’ve gained. It’s primarily all big oaks, lots of natural spring fed creeks and ponds. Primarily a south wind but can switch to north often as season progresses.

The areas circled in green are the primary areas people hunt on this property during bow and rifle. Nobody goes much deeper and nobody really shoots or sees mature bucks in those areas. Doesn’t mean they aren’t there though.

The areas in red are of interest to me as potential mature buck spots. They are away from pressured areas and seem to be good starting point spots from an areal prospective.

Do any of you guys with more big woods experience see any other areas I should or shouldn’t but effort into? Am I missing a killer spot From an areal prospective?

I can post zoomed in pics of areas of interest if that helps any?

Thanks

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0wgQISl ... 2WdNzcXpcA

TheMinimalistHunter

Re: Big woods mapping?

Unread postby TheMinimalistHunter » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:43 am

TheMinimalistHunter

Unread postby TheMinimalistHunter » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Crickets...
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:08 am

You'll get better information than I can provide, but here are my two pennies worth.

I'd walk the 1040-1060 elevation around the drainage where you have the three potential buck spots marked. If you can come in from the north, you might be able to get on sign and hunt it then without blowing the beds (if the beds are there). If you can't access from the north, you may want to scout for beds after the season, or go ahead and burn them knowing that you might not get another chance in there this year.

I like the area east of that between the thick blow downs and the more open area, as a potential rut setup. It's getting close to other hunting pressure but I can't take my eyes away from it as possible funnel...other guys hunting the area already might see it the same way though.

The edges of those thick cedars might be good, especially if there's bedding north (or even south, close to the road) of there. I'd come in the from the east if you've got a south wind and get as close to the downwind edge of the cedars as you can. Good chance does are in those cedars, so be sneaky. I don't know how other guys feel about it, but I'd rather be able to shoot to an edge rather than being right on it.

What kind of sign are you seeing every year in that thick drainage toward the east of your map? I'm surprised that ridge system isn't pressured - I would think there's good potential over there.
TheMinimalistHunter

Unread postby TheMinimalistHunter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:37 am

@drenalin thanks for the feedback! I’ll definatly use your advice.

The reason that ridge system to the right/east isn’t pressured is because that area would require walking, lol. Last year I hunted the thick drainage area circled in yellow to the east and the small field (usually winter wheat) by the road had scrapes and rubs all over. See pic: red dots are scrapes there’s a small break in the fence where they funnel through. Last year I set up on the blue dot and had doe and small bucks come in on evening hunts. No mature boys.

The areas circled as hunting pressure are easy access areas that have atv trails and people basically drive to their stands and hope a big one passes by.

I plan on hunting it next year so I should probably spend this trip scouting and really nail down the beds.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:12 pm

I did the same thing when I started 3 years ago. Got the same result.

Spend some time in the tactical portion of the website.

They get asked this stuff 100X a day - figuring it out has certain values. For me, i found a hot spot this year for a quota hunt, limited out early. Never even seen a deer in range on public land - never mind during archery before. First time ever - 3 yrs on the beast. Another couple of years and I might be able to steadily replicate it. WoW!

Crickets are good baits for big bluegill.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”