what wind do I need to access this?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mossyhorns

what wind do I need to access this?

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:02 am

This is a piece of public property that I have been scouting and basically I found it on Sunday last weekend at 1:15 PM as one of those close “overlooked” spots. I will have an opportunity to hunt this with three days and 3 different winds. It is close to roads that people drive on normally and also on past the top of the screen is lots and lots of more ridges with basically the same topography, big timber but I scouted it early and didn’t find much good sign, well last minute I walked in here and I didn’t walk past the beds on either side of the point but I walked To one and then kind of straight up over the point to the other one, both beds were big and fresh with hair and both had rubs right in the beds with logs and dirt laying behind them... it seemed perfect and what I believe I have been searching for... the pink lines is what I walked in on this stretch and i didn’t go past the beds on either side....Anybodies take I appreciate!

Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: what wind do I need to access this?

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Mossyhorns wrote:This is a piece of public property that I have been scouting and basically I found it on Sunday last weekend at 1:15 PM as one of those close “overlooked” spots. I will have an opportunity to hunt this with three days and 3 different winds. It is close to roads that people drive on normally and also on past the top of the screen is lots and lots of more ridges with basically the same topography, big timber but I scouted it early and didn’t find much good sign, well last minute I walked in here and I didn’t walk past the beds on either side of the point but I walked To one and then kind of straight up over the point to the other one, both beds were big and fresh with hair and both had rubs right in the beds with logs and dirt laying behind them... it seemed perfect and what I believe I have been searching for... the pink lines is what I walked in on this stretch and i didn’t go past the beds on either side....Anybodies take I appreciate!

I think there needs to be a few more questions answered before you can decide which wind is the right wind.
1- where the best oaks dropping?
2-how thick is it?
3- how close do you think you can get to the beds?
4 what are the predominant winds
5 were there doe sign in there, or will you get busted by something else before you get there
6 did you pick a tree while you where there
7 if possible did you identify exit and entrance trails

These questions will help you narrow down you choices! With out seeing, its alot harder for anybody to just tell you. there are alot of factors to put in to play! Dan has a excellent list like this somewhere in the forum. These are just the tip of the iceburg!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:58 pm

the little black track lines are what i assume to be exit trails. the tips of those points are where it gets thick and there is a bunch of doe bedding areas in the northern holler. i think if i had and type of southernly wind the buck would be bedded in the bed on the bottom of the map there fore i wouldn't be able to access and i am also assuming i will need some type of northernly wind to find the buck bedded in the upper parts map bed. I do have a tree picked out and while scouting i had my climber on my back and put it where i could see a few trails intersect, which is right at 80 yards from the actual bed.
-Cool Hand Luke
TheMinimalistHunter

Unread postby TheMinimalistHunter » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:51 pm

I think you’d be fine hunting with a north or south wind and just off wind of the respective beds.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Mossyhorns wrote:the little black track lines are what i assume to be exit trails. the tips of those points are where it gets thick and there is a bunch of doe bedding areas in the northern holler. i think if i had and type of southernly wind the buck would be bedded in the bed on the bottom of the map there fore i wouldn't be able to access and i am also assuming i will need some type of northernly wind to find the buck bedded in the upper parts map bed. I do have a tree picked out and while scouting i had my climber on my back and put it where i could see a few trails intersect, which is right at 80 yards from the actual bed.

Trust your gut! Stick with the basics of beast hunting! You already sound like you know what you need to do! Confidence is what makes it happen!
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:23 pm

i hit it on saturday with a cold front and a north wind. i was super quiet. walking in i actually followed in 2 does for over several minutes and they were 10 yards in front of me.i Felt like todd Havel tracking down a deer lol. finally one looked up at me eye to eye and they trotted off this was around 2:30. i eased into my stand and was as quite as i could possible be. i was just Staring towards where the bed area and i was and watching the trails with my binoculars. i was so certain i would see a buck, but nothing all day, oh well at least i gave it a try. pulled my stand out of there.no reason to hunt it if hes not there. This was hard for me to do because ever since i have been hunting i would have continued to go back to that spot over and over.
-Cool Hand Luke
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:31 am

Mossyhorns wrote:i hit it on saturday with a cold front and a north wind. i was super quiet. walking in i actually followed in 2 does for over several minutes and they were 10 yards in front of me.i Felt like todd Havel tracking down a deer lol. finally one looked up at me eye to eye and they trotted off this was around 2:30. i eased into my stand and was as quite as i could possible be. i was just Staring towards where the bed area and i was and watching the trails with my binoculars. i was so certain i would see a buck, but nothing all day, oh well at least i gave it a try. pulled my stand out of there.no reason to hunt it if hes not there. This was hard for me to do because ever since i have been hunting i would have continued to go back to that spot over and over.

Old habbits are hard to break! But once you do you will be thinking what was i thinking! Good luck hunting!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”