Aging Rubs

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Aging Rubs

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Did several searches and didn't come up with anything although I'm pretty sure we've discussed this before. Anyone have any links?

I know obvious signs like fresh bark at the bottom of the tree or dripping sap are both good indicators of a fresh rub. But what else clues you in to how old that rub is? This topic is one of the holes in my game.

E72
500 Club

Re: Aging Rubs

Unread postby E72 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:54 pm

Got me thinking LD. Could go out behind the house and experiment with a shed antler,......make your own rubs on several preferred saplings bucks like to rub. Then observe each day how they change with drying and color . Weather could affect how fast a rub dries too, hot and dry and a rub on a maple might dry out in a few days. I always look for the bright and wet look , maybe some leaves freshly kicked up around the tree.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:12 am

Use a knife to create your own rub, and compare it to the one you found. Can see how the tree looks with a fresh rub and make a guess on how old the one you found is. Plus if you do it in an area you frequent, you can check back on it and note how it looks after x amount of time. Might be tree specific, but at least by me, they only rub a select variety of trees. Can't name them, but I know them when I see them.

The knife thing is not my idea. I remember seeing DK post it somewhere (I think it was him).
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:46 am

E72 wrote:Got me thinking LD. Could go out behind the house and experiment with a shed antler,......make your own rubs on several preferred saplings bucks like to rub. Then observe each day how they change with drying and color . Weather could affect how fast a rub dries too, hot and dry and a rub on a maple might dry out in a few days. I always look for the bright and wet look , maybe some leaves freshly kicked up around the tree.

I thought of doing a track aging experiment. Never thought of a rub experiment. I definitely want to be able to check it daily. Need to think of a spot to do this...

If I do it, I’m going to detail the crap out of it and post the results on the Beast. Ideally I’d have two species of trees. Then I’d make some in direct sunlight and some in the shade.

Starting to sound like lots of pictures to take and keep strait. Maybe posting videos on YouTube would be the ticket 8-)
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:54 am

Jonny wrote:Use a knife to create your own rub, and compare it to the one you found. Can see how the tree looks with a fresh rub and make a guess on how old the one you found is. Plus if you do it in an area you frequent, you can check back on it and note how it looks after x amount of time. Might be tree specific, but at least by me, they only rub a select variety of trees. Can't name them, but I know them when I see them.

The knife thing is not my idea. I remember seeing DK post it somewhere (I think it was him).

Yup, I do this as well.

Only thing I do differently is scrape the actual rub to see the difference
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:59 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Jonny wrote:Use a knife to create your own rub, and compare it to the one you found. Can see how the tree looks with a fresh rub and make a guess on how old the one you found is. Plus if you do it in an area you frequent, you can check back on it and note how it looks after x amount of time. Might be tree specific, but at least by me, they only rub a select variety of trees. Can't name them, but I know them when I see them.

Yup, I do this as well.

Only thing I do differently is scrape the actual rub to see the difference

Sometimes I wonder why I can’t come up with simple, perfect solutions like this on my own :lol: Great idea! This is why I love the beast.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:09 am

I thought of doing a track aging experiment. Never thought of a rub experiment. I definitely want to be able to check it daily. Need to think of a spot to do this...

If I do it, I’m going to detail the crap out of it and post the results on the Beast. Ideally I’d have two species of trees. Then I’d make some in direct sunlight and some in the shade.

Starting to sound like lots of pictures to take and keep strait. Maybe posting videos on YouTube would be the ticket 8-)[/quote]

I'd love to see both! I'd give it a watch or a read for sure.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:18 am

Most types of trees I see here getting rubbed are mostly maple , some cherry , young beech ,sumac , cedar and pines .
I believe these were on silver maple last year but need to check again . I thought they were a few days to a week old when I found them. Looked a little dry to be any sooner than that. One thing about rubs no matter what kind of tree ,.... I like them on big trees ! :D
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:33 am

E72 wrote:Most types of trees I see here getting rubbed are mostly maple , some cherry , young beech ,sumac , cedar and pines .
I believe these were on silver maple last year but need to check again . I thought they were a few days to a week old when I found them. Looked a little dry to be any sooner than that. One thing about rubs no matter what kind of tree ,.... I like them on big trees ! :D

Nice!!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:07 am

Lockdown wrote:
E72 wrote:Got me thinking LD. Could go out behind the house and experiment with a shed antler,......make your own rubs on several preferred saplings bucks like to rub. Then observe each day how they change with drying and color . Weather could affect how fast a rub dries too, hot and dry and a rub on a maple might dry out in a few days. I always look for the bright and wet look , maybe some leaves freshly kicked up around the tree.

Starting to sound like lots of pictures to take and keep strait. Maybe posting videos on YouTube would be the ticket 8-)

Hope you do this i dont have access to bushes or trees to try this myself. I want to see some results :L:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:57 pm

I’ve seen this and heard other beasts mention before, early season bucks rub soft trees. Pines mainly around here then they’ll branch into some other hardwood species as their antlers harden up. Pines, fir, cedars, spruce, redwood to name a couple

Doesn’t help now, but locating bedding areas and trying to pattern deer in March-May it helps
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Run around in your local WMA and rub a bunch of trees every week away from where you want to hunt!!!! You could have the woods to yourself with all the hunters in the area chasing their butts! And you could document it!!!!!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:35 pm

MOBIGBUCKS--So when you're find a rub that you're really interested in knowing is it brand new, one day, one week, or one month old, you take your knife and scrape a thin layer of new wood right in the middle of the rub and check to see if there's a significant color difference? Or moisture difference?

I like it! How much of a change do you see in a week or month?

I like the rub experiment aging idea. I did document some track aging experiments under different conditions a few years ago but I'm sure the pictures are gone by now, and there's no way to get them off my old dead phone.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:20 pm

THP's Deer Tour #17 video-- they mention how a rub is new and take a guess that's three days old. Perfect timing! :lol:

I would love to hear them explain why they thought it was 3 days old. Maybe they were aging tracks nearby or using something specifically about the rub itself. They didn't say. I know with my observations I generally can get to the time frame of "within a week, within a month, two months, three months old". But I couldn't say that a rub was X days old.

Hopefully they specifically discuss this on one of their question and answer sessions.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:23 am

So here’s the deal guys. I’m searching for a good spot to conduct this experiment. It absolutely has to be close to my normal work commute route. I just don’t have time to spend an extra half hour or 45 minutes a day conducting the experiment. Mama wouldn’t like it and I’m not gonna make her mad before rut :lol: IMO I need to check it daily or the results will be flawed.

I think I have a spot that will work, I just need to verify it’s got the right trees and shrubs. I want to test the same species that I typically find rubs on.

I will record all weather conditions and probably post a YouTube link for each day. If you can think of any details you want included, let me know.

Also if anyone else wants to conduct the same experiment go ahead. The more info the merrier.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”