Aging Rubs

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Nelson87
500 Club

Re: Aging Rubs

Unread postby Nelson87 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:19 am

Sounds like a neat experiment Lockdown. I'm trying to up my in-season scouting game so this is definitely something I'm interested in.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:59 am

Daily pictures would be cool along with a short description of how they feel (moisture wise). Sometimes they look fresh but are really dried out which would make me guess they are older.

I’m looking forward to this 8-)
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:14 am

Motivated wrote:MOBIGBUCKS--So when you're find a rub that you're really interested in knowing is it brand new, one day, one week, or one month old, you take your knife and scrape a thin layer of new wood right in the middle of the rub and check to see if there's a significant color difference? Or moisture difference?

I like it! How much of a change do you see in a week or month?

I like the rub experiment aging idea. I did document some track aging experiments under different conditions a few years ago but I'm sure the pictures are gone by now, and there's no way to get them off my old dead phone.

Yep. Exactly what I do.

It's definitely not an exact science, but it gives you an idea if it's been within the past week which is all I'm concerned with. Going up the trail or rubline to your nearest crossing, will usually yield you his tracks. His tracks are more important to me than the rub. I just use the rub to help find how that buck is traveling more or less.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:15 am

double
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:46 pm

Jonny wrote:Daily pictures would be cool along with a short description of how they feel (moisture wise). Sometimes they look fresh but are really dried out which would make me guess they are older.

I’m looking forward to this 8-)

Yep
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”