Oak Identification from Aerial?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Oak Identification from Aerial?

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:37 am

Like a sore thumb.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:59 am

whi52873 wrote:As a tip, when looking at hardwoods and using a summer time aerial pic....the more round and darker green canopies are 90% of the time white oaks. For example, the area I circled in red is a huge white oak flat but this serves true in other areas where white oaks are less dense. White Oaks.JPG

This ^ along with holding the rust or brown colored leaves like Buck Psych mentioned are strong clues. Some of the rusty browns are red oaks too, but I do notice their leaves being a little darker than most maples or other surrounding trees when green. I've cross-referenced and confirmed this with my cyber and boots-on-the-ground scouting. I can usually ID them with a couple different aerial from different times. Take a shot at it and see what you find.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:00 am

You can use the history feature in google earth or OnX when you zoom in past a certain level to toggle between spring/summer and fall foliage.

Large, mature deciduous trees have a very distinct shadow that they cast that should be easily recognizable. I have keyed in on more than a few huntable trees from aerials that way. See below:

"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:59 am

ghoasthunter wrote:water tolerance 1 pin oak 2 black oak 3 white oak 4 red oak 5 chestnut oak 6 some kind of brush oak? thats what my area has from swamp bottoms too mountain tops. best mast crops too target white oak, pin oak, chest nut oak. brush oak red oak and black oak are late season. and beech nut trees can be great when they are dropping heavy. bucks love them cuz they make a lot of dark shaded security cover. so next time your out scouting check the elevations of the trees your finding in relation too water then you will have a starting point for looking for certain trees. in relation to bedding you can determine when certain beds are used based on what the deer prefer too eat. every year its different but if you see certain trees are producing good you know where the deer pockets will be holding and where they will likely move too when they vanish on you.

I did not realize how well beech nut trees work until last year I killed a big nanny who was feeding on the beech leaves they were only eating the half yellow/green ones and they were pounding them. That was mid October. But with the white oak mast here in south central pa not being big again I will be looking at that spot again for sure. Great tips on the water tolerance for oaks as well.
Extreme Effort Only

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”