No trails, no hunt?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

No trails, no hunt?

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:55 am

I am doing some cyber scouting of a few hundred acre public swamp/marsh for a hunt I plan on doing this Sunday evening. I have never put boots on the ground in this area so I am going off everything I have learned from this site. I am finding a lot of good oak islands, points, bowls, etc but I am not seeing any trails. I have tried changing the time scale 8 different ways but I am still not seeing trails.

Would you still give a spot like this a chance even though the trails are not showing up on the maps? Has anyone had success with spots that you have cyber scouted like this or are trails a must for you before going into an area?

Thanks in advanced!!

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
KLEMZ

Re: No trails, no hunt?

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:10 am

Deer Trails will only show on certain aerial photos. I have found that some of the areas I hunt do not have a lot of Google Earth coverage, which means they sometimes don't show the detail you need to see the trails...even though the trails are there.
I would use what you have learned here and trust your instincts on where you suspect bedding. Usually, boots on the ground is the only way to verify what you suspect.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:33 am

KLEMZ wrote:Deer Trails will only show on certain aerial photos. I have found that some of the areas I hunt do not have a lot of Google Earth coverage, which means they sometimes don't show the detail you need to see the trails...even though the trails are there.
I would use what you have learned here and trust your instincts on where you suspect bedding. Usually, boots on the ground is the only way to verify what you suspect.

X's2
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:51 am

KLEMZ wrote:Deer Trails will only show on certain aerial photos. I have found that some of the areas I hunt do not have a lot of Google Earth coverage, which means they sometimes don't show the detail you need to see the trails...even though the trails are there.

x3
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:23 am

Thanks so much for the responses. I took your advice and went for it. It ended up being one of the worst hunting trips I have ever experienced. The river near by is starting to flood and I walked a mile through tall grass and a foot of water before the water got too deep and I couldn't go any further. I am trying take away some sort of lesson from this but I am not sure anything valuable was learned... other than now I know when to avoid this area.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
flgahunter114

Unread postby flgahunter114 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:02 pm

I scouted a swamp last week and went walking through it looking for trails covering the big trees, nothing. What I did find is one trail on the edge that led 40 yards inside to a clump of grass that happened to be a dry spot, and it was worn out. So even though you may not have the trails going through it, there may be something close to the edge you will only find by boots on the ground.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:02 am

Oak islands in a swamp can be hit/miss and may not heavily used unless its drop time on a good year, hence maybe little sign. I'd keep my eye on it..
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”