Scouting in/around a bedding area

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mossyhorns

Scouting in/around a bedding area

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:12 pm

This may sound like a strange question but say I am going to a new stretch of public that i have never hunted before but deer season is under way and mainly where i hunt is hills so there is ridge fingers everywhere and im basically walking out the main ridge when all of a sudden i go down one of these ridge fingers and i find the Mecca, the big bucks bedroom right off the point and theres his bed hidden right off of the side and theres all kinds of rubs from years past along rub lines all over the elevation where i find this bed. Well i guess the question is should i actually get down in that bed and look for where to hunt or should i stay 5-10' away from the bed and stop and turn around to look for a tree off in the distant to come climb back up in that evening. just say i find it around lunch time so i have something to come back and hunt that evening. Sorry if im mumbling on and im sure theres a thread similar to this i just haven't found it yet. thanks for ANY enlightenment.now that i actually think of it my Real question is. Is getting too close to that bed or bedding area putting to much of my scent in an area to come back and hunt?

Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Scouting in/around a bedding area

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:23 am

Sit down in it and see what you see. You already bumped him, get the best intel and then get out.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:40 am

I like to get in the bed and see what they see. If you bumped a deer out of that bed it might be worth hunting again asap but probably not the same day. If you were just having look around scouting I would hold off not hunt until you know a buck is working the area. Wait until you find some tracks, other fresh sign or shine him nearby if possible.
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:03 am

headgear wrote:I like to get in the bed and see what they see. If you bumped a deer out of that bed it might be worth hunting again asap but probably not the same day. If you were just having look around scouting I would hold off not hunt until you know a buck is working the area. Wait until you find some tracks, other fresh sign or shine him nearby if possible.

Wish i could shine. but in KY your not allowed to broadcast any kind of light not even your headlights. could have bumped him out of his bed but he could have got up when i was a ways away.
-Cool Hand Luke
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:26 pm

If your leary of leaving scent. Your probably too late but
I myself if i stumbled upon a scenerio like this i would most likely Stop in my tracks and assess where im at and where the bed is.
I would try get as close too the bed as i can and get in front of it. Even if its 5-10 yards away. In season i would never get right in the bed. Post season yes i would
I would kneel down and listen and look for what the buck might see. Hear or smell note winds how close you are too the drop off etc
Then i would mark where i can see too. A far off tree,Rock , hedge , a landmark. I believe We have better eyes than deer. So where i cant see im sure a
Deer cant either
Then i would try too back out too where i saw too on the same path or footsteps i walked in on ( just passed where i could barely see too).
I would then pick two trees on each side of point then you have two spots for different off winds for that spot
Then throw a sit at it when the wind is right throw milkweed the whole sit see what thermals snd wind is doing.
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:09 pm

TheBuckPsych wrote:If your leary of leaving scent. Your probably too late but
I myself if i stumbled upon a scenerio like this i would most likely Stop in my tracks and assess where im at and where the bed is.
I would try get as close too the bed as i can and get in front of it. Even if its 5-10 yards away. In season i would never get right in the bed. Post season yes i would
I would kneel down and listen and look for what the buck might see. Hear or smell note winds how close you are too the drop off etc
Then i would mark where i can see too. A far off tree,Rock , hedge , a landmark. I believe We have better eyes than deer. So where i cant see im sure a
Deer cant either
Then i would try too back out too where i saw too on the same path or footsteps i walked in on ( just passed where i could barely see too).
I would then pick two trees on each side of point then you have two spots for different off winds for that spot
Then throw a sit at it when the wind is right throw milkweed the whole sit see what thermals snd wind is doing.

Thats kind of what i was thinking i would need to do actually.. Its just hard too jump right in to doing the right stuff (beast tactics) when i have hunted completely different my whole life. Just trying to confirm a few things before i change everything i have ever done. Its just a lot to soak in. I sort of feel like im a new hunter in way just trying to see what some of you guys think.
-Cool Hand Luke
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:42 pm

Mossyhorns wrote:
Deer cant either

Thats kind of what i was thinking i would need to do actually.. Its just hard too jump right in to doing the right stuff (beast tactics) when i have hunted completely different my whole life. Just trying to confirm a few things before i change everything i have ever done. Its just a lot to soak in. I sort of feel like im a new hunter in way just trying to see what some of you guys think.

Oh i feel the same way mossy we are going too feel like that when we are doing things that are called ( outside the norm). But this is why we change the things we been doing for years. Doing the same thing we have fone for years gets us or has gotten us the same results
So just stay positive and try new things
Good luck bro hope too see you holding a slammer
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:48 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:
Mossyhorns wrote:
Deer cant either

Oh i feel the same way mossy we are going too feel like that when we are doing things that are called ( outside the norm). But this is why we change the things we been doing for years. Doing the same thing we have fone for years gets us or has gotten us the same results
So just stay positive and try new things
Good luck bro hope too see you holding a slammer

I am absolutely going to stay positive, no matter the outcome. There is just way to much proof in the pudding in these forum pages and all the podcasts and videos. I have read way too many responses thanking Dan and all of The hunting beast members to quit this. I have just started my journey in this and I am already in too deep haha. Good luck to you this season too man.
-Cool Hand Luke
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:15 am

Mossyhorns wrote:
Deer cant either

The best thing to do is to forget about what you were doing, especially if what you were doing wasnt working, letting go of what you use to do will be the best thing to do to learn beast tactics.

Sounds like you may have bumped your buck out of there figure out why he is bedded there and us that intel for a later attack or even next year. Hes there for a reason!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”