The First Few Days...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

The First Few Days...

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:04 am

For those of you that are up against it... high hunting pressure whether public or private... a little reminder of the importance of those first few days. In super high pressure areas where a three year old is a great buck and a four year old is very rare, there is no better time to have a legitimate chance of taking a good buck near bedding. We don't see much rut movement before dark in super pressure areas, they are dead if they do...

Make those days a serious priority- A Michigan high-schooler friend of mine is sure glad that he did on our opening day last year- a high pressure public land hunt.

Bridge

Dewey

Re: The First Few Days...

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:28 am

Great post SB. I truly believe the first few days mature bucks are maybe even more vulnerable than they are during the rut. Hit your absolute best spots now. Once they figure out their being hunted all bets are off and it gets so much more difficult.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:34 am

I've seen a ton of your average run of the mill hunters connect on good to great bucks opening weekend by accident, I think you can catch them in the mornings and evenings those first few days.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:27 am

I need to get in the habit of hunting my best spots on Oct. 1. My tradition has been to hunt convenient spots just to say I was out on opening day.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:06 am

Another important aspect is that you need to be 100% ready. make sure your gear is in perfect shape and that you have your equipment organized and ready. many a big buck has survived those first few days because the hunter wasnt ready and made mistakes.
It is a good idea to do a few practice runs in your yard before the opener. these runs will allow you to identify thing that need attention and allow you to have all your gear organized and located. do complete practice runs including actually lifting your bow and shooting. Its better to find out you forgot your lift rope at home than in the woods opening day. Its better to find and silence a squeak at home than with a buck 20 yds away.

good luck everyone, be safe!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:01 am

Good post SB! My plan the first week is to be aggressive. Do you hunt mornings the first week?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:03 am

Don’t forget to shoot with all of you hunting clothing on including facemask if you wear one. Many of us shoot all summer in shorts and a t-shirt and choke the first shot due to not practicing this. A lot of bucks lived another day due to poor shot execution.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:10 am

Good advice !!!

It's so close I can taste it in the air !!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:07 am

Hawthorne wrote:Good post SB! My plan the first week is to be aggressive. Do you hunt mornings the first week?

Typically I hunt observation stands in the morning that won’t disrupt bedding. But I’ve shot a number of bucks in the morning those first few days.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:58 am

Back when I was young and more foolish than I am now, some buddies wanted to bet me on who would take the first buck of the season. I dont let such foolishness be a factor in my hunting now. Anywho, all the cash to the winner. They were hunting private and I was hunting public. 7 minutes into the new Michigan archery season I had a buck down. They didn’t want to bet anymore after that. Mornings can produce if you find the right buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”