Where would you hunt?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Where would you hunt?

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:39 am

This is some private land I hunt in MO. This will be our 8th year to hunt it. I know where we've killed mature bucks and Doe's. I was wondering where you guys would hunt. After some comments I'll post another pic of the different locations we hunt. Image

"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Where would you hunt?

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:47 am

I would try the north end west of creek on the ridge, on the 1/3 For rut cruzin and then the east side ridge on the southern side of the pond area for rut as well. Then scope out that cedar thicket pretty hard for sure!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:54 am

I would start north of the cedar thicket across the creek where that little Ridge is and then west of the food plot where the creek converges up on the ridge.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:48 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:I would try the north end west of creek on the ridge, on the 1/3 For rut cruzin and then the east side ridge on the southern side of the pond area for rut as well. Then scope out that cedar thicket pretty hard for sure!

Out of the three of us that hunt this land my buddy Will hunts NW of the big food plot. He has killed the most deer since we started hunting there. I killed the biggest buck to the East of the food plot up by the small pond 2 years ago. I didn't go last year but they had a monster on camera in the small food plot. Probably living near the cedars. Gonna definitely check that out this year.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Brandonkinchen
500 Club

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:49 pm

street28ss wrote:I would start north of the cedar thicket across the creek where that little Ridge is and then west of the food plot where the creek converges up on the ridge.

We've never hunted that area but now knowing what I know.... I'll be checking it out in November.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:34 pm

You've hunted the place for 8 years, and you're asking us where to hunt? After 8 years I thought you would of figured it out by now.

I would say, the thickest & most nasty stuff you never hunted up to this point, is where the mature bucks probably are!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Brandonkinchen
500 Club

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:58 pm

tgreeno wrote:You've hunted the place for 8 years, and you're asking us where to hunt? After 8 years I thought you would of figured it out by now.

I would say, the thickest & most nasty stuff you never hunted up to this point, is where the mature bucks probably are!

Well, maybe read the post a little better. I know where we've killed the big bucks. I'm new to the beast tactics and thermals. I also realize we accidentally were using beast tactics... Like hunting upper 2/3 (wind tunnel). Because I know where we've killed the bucks I wanted to compare my knowledge of the area to people who've never been there. The 2 guys that commented before you ( who has never been on the property) picked 2 of the best spots. I hunt flat ground and am still learning how to hunt hill country. So to see others look at a map and choose areas I know are the best areas gives me confidence to do the same. I wasn't asking "where would you hunt" to find a spot for me, I was comparing others speculative ideas to my concrete knowledge to see if they line up. I doesn't help me on this property but I'll be hunting some public near that land and hoped this would help!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Have you ever walked the first 100-200 yards of your driveway and checked out those woods?
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:37 pm

I like the 1100 line exiting the cedar thicket. I also like the 1100 line that creates the long ridge on north - west area or map.

I would also be interested in the creek, foot plot, wood transition. I like when multiple terrain features merge.

I also like the 1100 point dead center of property.

I also like the ridge that runs above the creek on the north east side. Again, I like that 1100 line.

There is some type of vegetive transition between the two houses on South end of the property. I would scout that.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:02 pm

In the woods! :clap: 8-)
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”