Log at back only for bucks?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BoilerBuck

Log at back only for bucks?

Unread postby BoilerBuck » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:06 am

Quick one: Buck beds usually have a log or other big object at their back. Is that purely a buck thing or will does do that too?

Does like to bed more in groups, right?

Found beds with classic wood on upwind side—just want to triple check this is 99.9% a buck bed

Thanks in advance

may21581
500 Club

Re: Log at back only for bucks?

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:04 pm

I have personally found doe beds in this type of terrain. I came across an old cherry tree once that fell over and the does were bedding in the thick limbs of the tree where the ground was exposed. I would have to get on my hands and knees to crawl into it. I have also found them next to trees when on the sides of hills. Usually the tree creates a small bench around it in the soil that makes it easier to bed. Does will bed almost anywhere but mature bucks will bed almost exclusively with secure bedding tactics.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:47 pm

The beds that have a block behind them are "buck beds" but lone does, or small groups like a doe and fawn will bed in buck spots. So yes, its a buck bed, but that don't mean occasionally a doe don't bed there. Classic doe bedding is in groups and is not as relevant to the wind, and in circle fashion they bed working as a group each watching a different direction.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:57 pm

dan wrote:The beds that have a block behind them are "buck beds" but lone does, or small groups like a doe and fawn will bed in buck spots. So yes, its a buck bed, but that don't mean occasionally a doe don't bed there. Classic doe bedding is in groups and is not as relevant to the wind, and in circle fashion they bed working as a group each watching a different direction.

Do U ever see the oposite on steep terrain where the buck has the block infront? Don't have a lot of experience with it but seen it a time or 2.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:02 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
dan wrote:The beds that have a block behind them are "buck beds" but lone does, or small groups like a doe and fawn will bed in buck spots. So yes, its a buck bed, but that don't mean occasionally a doe don't bed there. Classic doe bedding is in groups and is not as relevant to the wind, and in circle fashion they bed working as a group each watching a different direction.

Do U ever see the oposite on steep terrain where the buck has the block infront? Don't have a lot of experience with it but seen it a time or 2.

I've seen this in really steep terrain. Where they bed on the uphill side of the tree, just because it's the flattest area for them to lay.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:44 pm

Most of these that I find are actually doe beds and it threw me a major curveball at first.

Its low deer density so the does are usually solo and bed up against logs or trees. I've learned to tell the difference based on the location. The bucks are more away from access.
Make It Happen
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:13 am

Boogieman1 wrote:

I have also seen a block below in steep terrain with the deer facing uphill on windward side. Some of the best buck bedding i know of is like this in big woods.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:02 am

Swampbuck wrote:Most of these that I find are actually doe beds and it threw me a major curveball at first.

Its low deer density so the does are usually solo and bed up against logs or trees. I've learned to tell the difference based on the location. The bucks are more away from access.

I would still call those buck beds... Solo beds might be a better term, but its spots seeked out by solo deer (which are usually bucks) I am quite sure bucks bed in the locations your talking about, however the bucks we target seek out more secure spots. You gotta ignore the beds in the void, and hunt the ones in the spots where they belong. The terrain features mature bucks prefer.
Mountainman26

Unread postby Mountainman26 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:41 am

brancher147 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

I have also seen a block below in steep terrain with the deer facing uphill on windward side. Some of the best buck bedding i know of is like this in big woods.

Last season I witnessed this same pattern of bedding. Nice buck bedded above a boulder looking up the mountain. Wind was coming over his back from around the boulder. I hunted this buck from the ground 3 times on a nw wind and just couldn't get close enough to him.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:38 am

Mountainman26 wrote:
brancher147 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Last season I witnessed this same pattern of bedding. Nice buck bedded above a boulder looking up the mountain. Wind was coming over his back from around the boulder. I hunted this buck from the ground 3 times on a nw wind and just couldn't get close enough to him.

Yep. I have a spot almost exactly like that. A huge boulder (the size of a house) that bucks will lay behind with the wind from behind looking uphill, and my only access is from the top as it is cliffs below. I only hunt it once or twice a year because it is so hard to hunt, and I have to walk through bedding to get to it. I usually hunt it on a really windy or wet day when I can sneak real close...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:49 am

I see mature does use the same beds as the bucks somewhat often. The public I hunt has a pretty low doe population. 10-15 years ago it was not uncommon to see herds of does with 5- 10 deer. Now I seldom see multiple mature does together. I will see does with fawns. The DNR is very generous with doe permits on the public I hunt. I know people are shooting everything.

My point is. On known " single deer" beds, as Dan would call them, I see mature does use them often too.

If a buck wants the bed he will get it. If it's empty a doe will have no problem bedding there.

Here is a little kicker though. I just posted about this in another thread. A few years ago I bumped a button buck out of a outer perimeter bed. In my mind I wrote this off as a satellite bed. Rut came. I knew I had a mature buck in this bedding area cause sign heated up. I assumed he was bedding where I had scouted the most "secure" buck bed. I had seen him exit that bed earlier in the season. I ignored that satellite bed and tried to adjust my setup to get closer to his main bed. He was bedded with a doe in that satellite bed and I bumped them at 25 yards.

If I would have been paying attention I could have possibly killed him out of that bed as I snuck in. Live and learn.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:20 pm

dan wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:Most of these that I find are actually doe beds and it threw me a major curveball at first.

I would still call those buck beds... Solo beds might be a better term, but its spots seeked out by solo deer (which are usually bucks) I am quite sure bucks bed in the locations your talking about, however the bucks we target seek out more secure spots. You gotta ignore the beds in the void, and hunt the ones in the spots where they belong. The terrain features mature bucks prefer.

I could see that being true. I've run cameras near many of them and had next to zero buck activity. It could be that bucks use them at off times of year, maybe early summer to late summer, and relocate once things change. It's also not common to see more than one doe unless it's with a fawn. So could be the combination.
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”