23 days to scout new property

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gunner24

23 days to scout new property

Unread postby gunner24 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:30 pm

Alright fellow beasts. Let's say you just gained access to a new piece today. You have 23 days to scout from now until the beginning of bow opener. I'm curious to hear how you guys prefer to break down a new property in such a short notice. Property is not overly large. Lets say 100-175 acres. I've never stepped foot on it before. Plan to get boots on the ground as much as I can. Property has mix of timber, ag fields and swamp/lowlands. Where to start? Do you guys have a procedure you like to follow?

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: 23 days to scout new property

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:40 pm

Aerials & topos first. Is it hill, marsh or farm? Try to pinpoint bedding based on terrain type. Then boots on the ground.

Hill country - Leward ridges around the 1/3 elevation.
Marsh - Find the transitions & points. And foliage edges. Lone tree's or islands
Farm country - Points, edges of thick cover. Wet areas. Spots they can monitor the typical entrance to the property.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”