Glassing 101

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AvidHunter88

Glassing 101

Unread postby AvidHunter88 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:56 am

Hello. Every year I try to add one at least one new thing to the my hunting tactics or knowledge base. This year I decided to start glassing for the first time ever. I haven't had much luck yet but I still enjoy being outdoors and not seeing anything than doing something else. Anyways, I'll be glassing a piece of public land this weekend that I haven't been on before. Basically, it's a long rectangular property that runs away from the road from South to North. It is split down the middle by a fence line running away from the road. The front half of the property (the half nearest the road) is mostly prairie and runs slightly up hill. The back half of the property drops down into a swamp, red dogwood, brush, and looks like a good bedding area. The east and west sides of the property are surrounded by large soybean fields and the north side a large corn field. My questions are...

1) Would you sneak up the fence line that runs down the middle of the property and set up to watch for anything leaving the bedding areas? It's tough to see into the actual bean fields from here because of overgrown fence lines.

2) Or, would you pick one of the soybean fields to look out over instead?

3) Why did you choose either option or a different one?

4) And, what would be your number one piece of advice for someone just starting out glassing?

Thanks in advance guys!

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Glassing 101

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:38 am

I would glass the beans first reason being the deer could be bedding close to the edge of the beans! If you have a spotting scope i would stay back as far as i could At first, then move a little futher in if i had to. You dont want to spook any big bucks if your season is about to open. Play the side the wind is right for first then try the other for sure reguardless. Stay till you cant see. Any times after a front and temp changes are always good too. Something i might add for knownledge if your public is like mine pressure wise, and you start date is close, other people glassing will push deer away and come out different times. worst case they wont come out till dark. Then you might check in the middle of the property if possible, to see what goin on. Good luck. Glassing will get you fired up!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”