Wind Cones on Google Earth???

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

IkemanTx
500 Club

Wind Cones on Google Earth???

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:37 am

Does anyone know of a way to input some kind of wind cone on google earth?
I feel it would really help narrow down entry setups and stand locations, but I don't know how to go about making them. I am not looking for ACTUAL wind data, just want to be able to build a wind cone for my predominant winds that I can drop into Google earth to help visualize my downwind drift. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Wind Cones on Google Earth???

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:14 am

Probably just draw one with the line maker
Name it and and make notes on the descripition
Thats what i do
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:18 am

No idea about Google Earth but Scoutlook has a Scentcone option that I use and save for all of my hunting spots. Works well to quickly reference wind direction for my spots. Best thing is wind direction is monitored by the hour and will tell me the wind is acceptable by color code now or even later in the day if the wind is predicted to shift.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:28 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:Probably just draw one with the line maker
Name it and and make notes on the descripition
Thats what i do

The biggest problem with this is it relies solely on me being able to draw in the exact compass orientation I want... I would like to find a way to impose directional references that dont rely on my map screen being oriented perfectly north, or my freehand guess.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Florida-East

Unread postby Florida-East » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:45 am

I have considered doing exactly what you're talking about. Though there are some caveats. First is that you would have to guess on how far your scent is traveling. Factors that would obviously come into play would be whether you were wearing pixie dust like scent control. Others would be factors such as wind speed.
But let's say you wanted to do a generalized cone that was somewhat of an acute triangle at say 22° degrees out to 350 yards. Google Earth, even Google Earth Pro , does not allow for anything like this other than like was previously mentioned. So what you would need to do is open AutoCAD, have the land management tool and do line by Direction. The direction would be your wind bearing and you would pop off lines on either side of that at 11 degrees connected by either a straight line or an arch with whatever radius you would like. You would save that as a kmz file and then upload it to Google Earth you could make one for every wind direction if you would like and just bring each in on any given wind

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”