Accessing an oxbow

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dc10

Accessing an oxbow

Unread postby dc10 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:10 am

I won't be able to scout, etc. prior to hunting season since this will be an out of state hunt and I'm only there for one week, but how would you go about accessing this oxbow and where would you likely look to hunt from? I don't have a lot of room to work with (regarding access) considering it's butted up next to private land but it appears that that is one of the reasons it will likely be a good spot away from normal hunting pressure on public land and you have to cross the river. The green-shaded area is public land.

d_rek

Re: Accessing an oxbow

Unread postby d_rek » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:00 am

No way around that one you're gonna have to either float or wade across. On the east side of the river it looks like the bank is gentle and the river might be shallow enough to wade across. Of course you're gonna need a south wind the whole time if you gotta cut across to access the west side. Also assuming high water doesn't screw things up.

The pinch point of the oxbow looks nice as a terrain feature to hunt, considering it looks like there is AG on the private right next to it, though if the deer are unpressured on the private the might not even be bedding that far back toward the river. They might be right along the edge of the field since it's an easy meal for them.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Re: Accessing an oxbow

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:59 pm

If SE Wind I'd cross the Charlton right on the East boundary. Vice versa for a SE Wind.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”