Scouting my dad's Missouri farm

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dc10

Scouting my dad's Missouri farm

Unread postby dc10 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:08 am

I hunted my dad's farm in Missouri for the first time last year. I was only there for 1 week. I'll be there again during the 2nd week of Nov.

Any thoughts on where to hone in on scouting and setting up? The field on the property is normally planted with soybeans (although they didn't come up too well this year). Red lines are the paths of the bucks from when we saw them during the 2nd week of Nov. The property is about 70 acres and is adjacent to some public land.

My dad saw the "wide framed buck" right before dark. I saw the 6 point on an evening hunt and it went back the way it came. I saw the "good buck" during a morning hunt. It walked out into the field and then hugged the woodline as it disappeared into a valley. I shot the 9 point around 2pm as it was trailing a doe.

I want to get beyond hunting the field and get a better setup based on where they are bedding and traveling more freely. Any help would be much appreciated.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Scouting my dad's Missouri farm

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:32 am

Nice place but I would send a message to admins requesting maps be replaced w maps blacking out names of roads and coordinants. Even though its private land, cant be too careful
dc10

Unread postby dc10 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:57 am

<DK> wrote:Nice place but I would send a message to admins requesting maps be replaced w maps blacking out names of roads and coordinants. Even though its private land, cant be too careful

Good idea. I deleted the files from my dropbox which I believe deleted them (unintentionally from my post). I can't see the pictures anymore. Here they are again but with personal details blacked out.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:22 am

Looks like some classic MO timber and looks pretty open. Basics would be just circling the thickest spots on points and ridges and starting there. Its hard to say with confidence good buck bedding bc all of your sightings were mid nov. Any spots where its green would be good starting points.

My favorite spot would be the point facing W, where the Good Buck came from and where the Nice 9 was heading. Also, the wide frame buck looks like he came from a field off the property so id expand the map and cyber scout that as well. If he was a mature buck then maybe he has good bedding over there and decided to start walking at prime time unlike younger deer. Would be easy to walk the property line there and catch sign, tracks, trails and even setup to glass or even hunt. I wouldnt rule out the area by the pond right the entrance. It looks thick and has water just guessing you guys usually walk by that spot. If youre planning Nov hunts one good tactic is finding the best doe bedding. Its pretty easy to bump a group and keep bumping them to find the bedding.

The best tip I can give you is think back to the dates you guys saw these bucks, get on weather underground to check the conditions and wind directions. From there - things can add up pretty quickly. If you cant remember the dates then get on the MO hunting app and check the days they were tagged. This alone can really help put the puzzle together. One other tip would be check out the public land as well if you plan to hunt the area alot more than just Nov.

If you guys own the large timber section (to the right of the dotted line) as well then could be alot more happening that you didnt see. Looks like you can walk that property line too and find sign. If you do own that section then I really like the farthest SE part where you see those points coming together.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:23 am

That long running ravine that runs w the road to the East also looks to be thick. Could be bedding all along there and bucks do like long running ridges for cruising, w the wind coming over the top.
dc10

Unread postby dc10 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Appreciate the feedback. Yes, my dad own's the land east of the dotted line as well. And the day I saw the good buck (in the morning) and shot the 9 point (in the afternoon) was the same day. It was a SE wind all day. Around 41 degrees that morning and 50 degrees and drizzling that afternoon.
dc10

Unread postby dc10 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Here's a pic of the property that borders our property to the south. The field is where our property line ends.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:00 am

The exanded map looks great for bedding, especially if its tall grass most of the time. I like that wooded ditch bc a deer can shift for different winds. I know its not your property but looks like could be easily monitored. Just need to take some walks this winter and evaluate what is living on your guys' property. It wouldnt take long to scout the whole place

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”