Early fall food

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Djp32

Early fall food

Unread postby Djp32 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:00 am

So I’ve been poking around this summer trying to do some last minute scouting and noticed 3 different types of food around a particular bedding area that I already have pics of a few good bucks on. When I say bedding area it’s a steap hill side that is thick enough to hold bucks with a corn field on the top side and a ton o apple trees in an old orchard at the bottom of the hill. Everything works in the deers favor to be there when the wind is right. I don’t have a exact buck bed scouted but the cams say they are using it. I’m plenty far from being to close to spoil this spot. In sw pa our predominant wind in this area is south west which makes this hill leeward. Anyhow there’s corn on the top and tons of apples at the bottom and the field edge has some white oaks that I can already see are loaded on the limbs. My question is which order do the deer prefer them and at what order will the 3 foods be available in?

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Early fall food

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:46 am

Holy Buck Smorgasbord, Batman! :L:
I'm interested to hear, myself.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
JRM KY

Unread postby JRM KY » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:34 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:Holy Buck Smorgasbord, Batman! :L:
I'm interested to hear, myself.

Count me in too Robin lmbo. With all that feed in one spot who cares just hunt. In my area its apples to acorns to corn but no corn is grown here only scattered out in bait piles.
backstrap19

Unread postby backstrap19 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:46 am

Deer in my neck of PA are crushing apples now. they are walking past other food to eat them. they are also not moving far away from them to bed. they are hitting them throughout the day. even deep woods hidden apples patches are being hammered. it was a good apple year where i am in PA. If you have some good acorns, I'd agree that those will be second on the list. That corn will probably stand a while, and once it starts drying out and losing the green, they will key in on it more. Once it gets cut, they often pound that field for a short time also. i could be wrong about what will happen in your area, but this is what I usually see around here.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:06 pm

thanks i appreciate the insight, i kinda assumed the same order because it looked like the apples are starting to fall already. with it being this early in the season do you think the bucks will still bed way up on the leeward hill or do you think they will stay down near the apples to bed in close? being a new beast hunter i often wonder what dictates if the buck goes back up the hill and stays on top or moves down in the valleys or walks out the benches? i guess it all has to do with where the food is at, i just thought that they usually face where they want to go when they get up and that would mean down??
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:35 pm

I’d bank on the corn/acorns so that gives you a 66% chance over the 33% apples ;)

That’s a tough decision, though. I’d also look into what setup would be easier or harder to get it done. Maybe try glassing before you make the leap as well.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
JRM KY

Unread postby JRM KY » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Djp32 wrote:thanks i appreciate the insight, i kinda assumed the same order because it looked like the apples are starting to fall already. with it being this early in the season do you think the bucks will still bed way up on the leeward hill or do you think they will stay down near the apples to bed in close? being a new beast hunter i often wonder what dictates if the buck goes back up the hill and stays on top or moves down in the valleys or walks out the benches? i guess it all has to do with where the food is at, i just thought that they usually face where they want to go when they get up and that would mean down??

They might be closer due to foliage being thicker this time of year if it provides the same advantages as the more preferred bedding. My experience is the younger stuff and does will be closer but the mature bucks tend to stick in the best most bullet proof spot year round.
backstrap19

Unread postby backstrap19 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:32 pm

i'll agree. I have been watching a few apple trees that have been dropping for a few weeks now, and due to the thick undergrowth, the does and spikehorns are bedding VERY close to the apple tree. I have yet to see one of the big bucks bed on that slope. I have seen 2 very nice bucks on those apples, but it has been mostly under cover of darkness. They also enter and exit from a different direction. I would also say if you are going to hunt the apples, it isn't going to last long. Apples go cold usually by the end of the 1st week of season around here. Good luck, I hope you score!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:33 am

i like to target wild grapes in my area seams to be more common in close proximity to buck bedding prob because it can make good cover itself and licking branches for scrapes later.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:38 am

I think you gotta ask yourself like ive been asked a few times (quoting) are you hunting deer or are you hunting mature bucks? And please take no offense too this question.
Your gonna most likely see deer in all these spots
Imo and from what ive learned from experiences over the years is deer compete for mast foods. Acorns, persimmons ,apples acorns , etc. seasonal food.
Apples will most likely be eaten first. Its first come first serve with mast crops almost competitive for them.
I would hunt the apples first if there is sufficient cover and close by mature buck bedding. Find the mature buck bedding. Which im sure you already have. Figure out the routes they are taking too the food sources. Then stack the hunts. Get as close too the beds as you can between the food sources. Out of (Quote) scent , sight , and hearing of the beds
I would almost bet the apples are gonna be pounded early so look there first
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:30 am

Sounds like an amazing spot. By the time season gets here id plan on acorns and corn as the destination. I guess that would depend on when corn was planted and if the oaks produce.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:23 am

backstrap19 wrote:Deer in my neck of PA are crushing apples now. they are walking past other food to eat them. they are also not moving far away from them to bed. they are hitting them throughout the day. even deep woods hidden apples patches are being hammered. it was a good apple year where i am in PA. If you have some good acorns, I'd agree that those will be second on the list. That corn will probably stand a while, and once it starts drying out and losing the green, they will key in on it more. Once it gets cut, they often pound that field for a short time also. i could be wrong about what will happen in your area, but this is what I usually see around here.

X2 I agree with everything you're saying.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:29 am

<DK> wrote:Sounds like an amazing spot. By the time season gets here id plan on acorns and corn as the destination. I guess that would depend on when corn was planted and if the oaks produce.

Great point bud. I've noticed acorns drop hard the first two weeks of season, then corn gets hit hard. By the time the corn is gone, rut has kicked in pretty good. So. I'd say do an observation sit a few days before season opener to see if the apples are being hit hard, if not count on the acorns, but keep an eye on the corn.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:57 am

For me early season I like (rare) food sources. There's thousands of oaks, acres of milo, corn feeders in every direction, a few scattered alfalpha fields. But I like the scarce persimmon trees in cover in relitively close proximity to bedding. These are often my best shot for a early season brute. Sightings and cams seem to reveal when these babies are dropping the buck often hits em right b4 quitting time waiting on the cover of darkness to hit the fields and join the herd.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for all of the reply’s I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted on my observations

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”