Hunting Cut Banks

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

crossfitcarpenter

Hunting Cut Banks

Unread postby crossfitcarpenter » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:48 am

Hello Beasts, This a spin off from another thread. www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?t=45769 I have been reading through Stanley's posts and found that he mentioned cut banks as the perfect setup. When I was scouting this property and did not find bedding in the oxbows i figured I missed them from inexperience but I'm thinking it may be becuase there is a ten foot drop to the water. Any thoughts or experience from hunting cut banks on creeks and rivers will be grealy appreciated.

Dpierce72
500 Club

Re: Hunting Cut Banks

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:02 am

I've found bedding along cut banks ...but not ALL cut banks. In my experience, the cut back isn't the biggest issue (assuming ~8'-12'). The issue is what is at the bottom of the cut bank.

- If it's a relatively shallow/narrow body of water, I find bedding here (this is a reasonable escape route that deer can quickly cross)

- If it's a deep / wide body of water, I rarely find bedding here (not a great escape route due to long distance and swimming required)

Based on your scouting of the spots you mention, did the cut banks fall into the first or second category? That could be your answer. Perhaps not ...but a question worth asking.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:30 am

There must be an escape route or the buck wont feel comfortable there. High banks can certainly limit bedding especially in an oxbow because that could be the only escape depending on the size/cover of the oxbow. If there is not a good escape route I don't even bother with them.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:31 am

What I think of when I hear "cut bank" is a creek or river crossing. If u r refering to what looks like a karate chop in a steep bank. These are often very good spots and concentrate deer movement, in some cases it's the only way down to the water for miles. I hunt a lot of em with good success.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
crossfitcarpenter

Unread postby crossfitcarpenter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:14 pm

Dpierce72 wrote:I've found bedding along cut banks ...but not ALL cut banks. In my experience, the cut back isn't the biggest issue (assuming ~8'-12'). The issue is what is at the bottom of the cut bank.

- If it's a relatively shallow/narrow body of water, I find bedding here (this is a reasonable escape route that deer can quickly cross)

- If it's a deep / wide body of water, I rarely find bedding here (not a great escape route due to long distance and swimming required)

Based on your scouting of the spots you mention, did the cut banks fall into the first or second category? That could be your answer. Perhaps not ...but a question worth asking.

Right now its very shallow and about 40 yrds wide by mid November it will be 6 foot deep or so.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:33 am

crossfitcarpenter wrote:
Dpierce72 wrote:I've found bedding along cut banks ...but not ALL cut banks. In my experience, the cut back isn't the biggest issue (assuming ~8'-12'). The issue is what is at the bottom of the cut bank.

Right now its very shallow and about 40 yrds wide by mid November it will be 6 foot deep or so.

So my belief ...but I'd confirm, is that they may use the area to bed when the escape route is present, and may shift when it is not. Again, total hypothesis based on my experience. If there is limited pressure or an up/down the bank escape, it could be used all the time. Biggest question(s) is what is the escape if pressure comes? Where would expected pressure come from? There has to be an escape route.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”