Dummy Camera Experience?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dpierce72
500 Club

Dummy Camera Experience?

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:12 am

I was researching Cell Cameras this morning (lucky to have another day off work), and I'd navigated to Covert as I have so many of their other cameras. I normally run the Covert MP6 as I can still find them for around $89 and I try to stick to one brand so I have less programing to remember ...but thats besides the point.

Any way, when I was on their site I came across the Dummy Camera (details below) and my questions is, has anyone ever used one and what is your experience (if yes) or thoughts (if no). Details below from Covert site. I could see it as a deterrent to other hunters, as every time I see a camera or stand I mark them on my GPS and immediately cross the area off my list. Made me :think:

Dummy Description

- Camera housing that simulates a real surveillance camera
- Standard ¼-20” threaded insert for tripod mounting
- Installation strap included

The dummy cameras are actual Covert Scouting Cameras cameras housing sold without any electronic pieces. Viewed from the outside, they all look like a real camera, but empty inside. Ideal to discourage thieves. When they spot the camera, they usually leave the scene, but they can sometimes be inclined to steal them. If a “Dummy” camera is placed in view while a real one is securely concealed, this latter one will secretly photograph the thief in action.

"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Dummy Camera Experience?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:12 am

I’ve heard of people using them before with old junk cameras. First I’ve heard of one being marketed
boldlygo

Unread postby boldlygo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:14 am

My buddy puts his old dud cameras along the property boundary in visible places to keep the neighbors at bay!
“A grindstone that had not grit in it, how long would it take to sharpen an ax? And affairs that had not grit in them, how long would they take to make a man?”
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:46 am

I don't think I'd pay $89 for a dummy camera. I have plenty of junk broke cameras I could put out.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:39 am

Nor would I. The dummies are like $20 and I don’t think I’d even pay that ...the $89 was in reference to the operable cameras I use.

My post wasn’t to get an opinion on buying one but the tactic behind using a dummy (as a deterrent). I’d likely just keep a broken one as well. I have thrown several away over the years but wondering if I should keep them.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:41 am

I could see it being a reasonably valuable deterrent in busy areas, I know I've moved on once I've noticed somebody's trail camera, as well. Usually after I say hello...

I will say this though, whenever I do see a trail camera, I really start to scour the nearby area to see if there's a deer worth hunting there, and a place that I can set up outside of that camera guy's range.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”