New spot to scout and hunt, need advice

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PUBLICbowhunter

New spot to scout and hunt, need advice

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:34 am

First off I just want to say how excited I am that I finally figured out how to post a picture here after many tries :dance:
Anywho I recently got permission to hunt what is basically a pine plantation next to fields, swamp and a big body water. The property does not provide the best access and can only be done following the yellow route. Though I typically like to have all my scouting done by this time of year I am still super excited to scout it when my sons baseball ends for the summer in late July. I really think the small finger of woods that borders the field and swamp on the eastern side of the property has some big potential but not quite sure how to hunt in there. I would appreciate any advice as far as where to scout, hang a cam or take an observation stand. I am not very experienced on how to hunt or scout pines so any info would help. Thanks fellow beasts!!

PUBLICbowhunter

Re: New spot to scout and hunt, need advice

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:09 am

[*]Image
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:21 am

Follow that edge between pine and kangaroos and swamp and set up on the sign. I would bet the area is pretty flat from looking at the pics, so it will ALL be about edges.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Dave.Bechtel

Unread postby Dave.Bechtel » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:55 am

Is there a spot that you can watch from a distance? How wet is it? How thick is it? What crops are in the fields?

I would also focus on the edges and set up on hot sign. Personally, I would do a lot of observations from a far and limit the number of times I would enter the woods. Play the wind and sneak in for a hang and hunt. In my experience, I've had some of the best luck with 1st time sits. If you do walk it, I would focus on the transition lines and any small fingers sticking out to locate bedding. If you are able to locate bedding, you could position yourself between the bedding and food.

Looks like a cool location. Good Luck and keep everyone posted throughout the season!
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:20 am

IkemanTx wrote:Follow that edge between pine and kangaroos and swamp and set up on the sign. I would bet the area is pretty flat from looking at the pics, so it will ALL be about edges.

but be careful when going past those kangaroos, i hear they pack quite a punch!!! :lol:
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:17 am

Wontt be able to do a whole lot of long distance observing until the corn comes out. Gonna have to rely on cameras to scout. It is very wet and swampy outside of the mature pines. I'm in no hurry to jump in and booger it up, I have a lot more public spot that should produce. I gotta think a mature buck lives here somewhere though.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:36 am

Perfectionitz wrote:
IkemanTx wrote:Follow that edge between pine and kangaroos and swamp and set up on the sign. I would bet the area is pretty flat from looking at the pics, so it will ALL be about edges.

but be careful when going past those kangaroos, i hear they pack quite a punch!!! :lol:

Hahaha, dang autocorrect. I dont know what all went together to form kangaroo....
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:32 am

Follow that whole swamp transition and follow every trail back into bedding. That whole south-east corner & east line. Don't sleep on the swamp north of the railroad tracks either. Find some lone trees out there.

I hunted a spot like this years ago and I accessed on the RR tracks. That's obviously a sore subject with some people. But I did it for many years. So all you haters, keep you opinions to yourself 8-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:26 pm

I loved using bing birds eye and Google earth historical veiw to scout swamps and marshes but now cant find either. Does anyone know where I can find a map like bing birds eye and or how to get google history on a tablet or android? Thanks guys
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:10 am

tgreeno wrote:Follow that whole swamp transition and follow every trail back into bedding. That whole south-east corner & east line. Don't sleep on the swamp north of the railroad tracks either. Find some lone trees out there.

I hunted a spot like this years ago and I accessed on the RR tracks. That's obviously a sore subject with some people. But I did it for many years. So all you haters, keep you opinions to yourself 8-)

Can I ask why that is a sore subject? Access is access, right? Take advantage of what's available in the given situation, I would say...
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:11 am

tgreeno wrote:Follow that whole swamp transition and follow every trail back into bedding. That whole south-east corner & east line. Don't sleep on the swamp north of the railroad tracks either. Find some lone trees out there.

Can I ask why that is a sore subject? Access is access, right? Take advantage of what's available in the given situation, I would say...
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:49 am

Perfectionitz wrote:

I won't speak for tgreeno, but it's likely because RR tracks are private property.
I have a spot that I would love to backdoor using a set of tracks, but I am concerned with the whole trespassing thing.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:08 am

Perfectionitz wrote:

Wolverinebuckman is right. I used them all the time years ago, no one was ever said a word to me. I would have no problem doing it again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:16 am

Maybe I need to look closer into using these tracks
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:34 pm

I was thinking the same thing about RR access. I've done it, as needed, my entire hunting life. Truthfully, I didn't even realize I was trespassing. :oops: Now that I come to think of it I haven't seen those city dudes rabbit hunting along the tracks in quite a while, either. :doh:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”