What's the next step?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

thepennsylvanian
500 Club

What's the next step?

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:27 am

Ok, so it's been a fast paced spring. Extremely steep learning curve, thanks to all of you and the hunting beast.

So, learning that you need to hang you cameras near food sorces to back track bucks based off their pictures, I pulled my cameras out of the woods at the beginning of May. I finally have some consistent daylight photos of bucks, granted I have no idea how big they. . . Yet.
With out knowing where the main food sources are I'm hunting big woods public land and the only ag fields are over 3/4 of a mile away on private land, I have one question. What should I do next? Now normally I'd be going back in to this area and hanging another camera looking for trees and stupid things, but that's why I haven't killed many mature bucks. So, would it be a good idea to slink back in the area and hang another camera? Or should I start hanging cameras around areas near it? I fairly certain I've found the area they are bedding, as it is as remote as you'll find on this property, on the leeward side of the ridge, and all the pictures of the bucks were following the 1/3 of the hill. I'm trying to be a smarter hunter, and trying to learn as much as possible, therefore I need cannot continue doing what I have been doing!

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What's the next step?

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:31 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:Ok, so it's been a fast paced spring. Extremely steep learning curve, thanks to all of you and the hunting beast.

So, learning that you need to hang you cameras near food sorces to back track bucks based off their pictures, I pulled my cameras out of the woods at the beginning of May. I finally have some consistent daylight photos of bucks, granted I have no idea how big they. . . Yet.
With out knowing where the main food sources are I'm hunting big woods public land and the only ag fields are over 3/4 of a mile away on private land, I have one question. What should I do next? Now normally I'd be going back in to this area and hanging another camera looking for trees and stupid things, but that's why I haven't killed many mature bucks. So, would it be a good idea to slink back in the area and hang another camera? Or should I start hanging cameras around areas near it? I fairly certain I've found the area they are bedding, as it is as remote as you'll find on this property, on the leeward side of the ridge, and all the pictures of the bucks were following the 1/3 of the hill. I'm trying to be a smarter hunter, and trying to learn as much as possible, therefore I need cannot continue doing what I have been doing!

Sounds like you have "that" spot figured out... Next step would be to find more spots like that.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:37 am

Personally, I wouldn't go in this time of year to hang cams close to bedding. You will probably do more harm than good. If you have to hang a cam, hang it somewhere easy to access, far enough from bedding that they don't associate the intrusion with their bedding safety. Scrapes are good for that, but you might not get many buck pics until September or October.

I'd suggest stay out until it's time to kill him.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:06 am

Sounds like you’ve got a good grasp on the one location. I’d leave it be and look for others just like it. In reality you have 1 MAYBE 2 good sits at the particular bedding area you’re describing. Where you hunting the rest of the season?

I’d continue to keep hanging cameras on edges, close to natural or AG food sources or even utilize minerals if possible.

Everybody’s different, I got extremely aggressive this year and hung two cameras near bedding in May & June before heavy rains. In the past I was done deer scouting by April... I’ll push into early July now in non intrusive areas, in a bind I’d give them a month minimum to calm down. In a perfect world we’d all be done scouting by March... but Life happens. Get out there when you can, just be diligent where you go.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:33 am

For myself, I would make sure there is bucks the size I'm looking for b4 I throw to much time at it. Also, wouldn't get stuck into putting all my eggs into one basket. Easy to get stuck on one spot when u r seeing what u want in the offseason. Things change once velvet sheds and hunters start pounding the woods. One thing u don't wanna be short on is options.Just my 0.2
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:12 am

Twenty Up wrote:Sounds like you’ve got a good grasp on the one location. I’d leave it be and look for others just like it. In reality you have 1 MAYBE 2 good sits at the particular bedding area you’re describing. Where you hunting the rest of the season?

I’d continue to keep hanging cameras on edges, close to natural or AG food sources or even utilize minerals if possible.

Everybody’s different, I got extremely aggressive this year and hung two cameras near bedding in May & June before heavy rains. In the past I was done deer scouting by April... I’ll push into early July now in non intrusive areas, in a bind I’d give them a month minimum to calm down. In a perfect world we’d all be done scouting by March... but Life happens. Get out there when you can, just be diligent where you go.

When you say you done deer scouting by April, you meant done? At this point, I've only an idea of were some bucks of unknown size are, an idea. I don't even know how big they are! When you say done scouting are you done with a particular spot? I have only located on promising spot so far and I've really been researching/scouting boots on the ground since Feb this year.
dan wrote:
thepennsylvanian wrote:Ok, so it's been a fast paced spring. Extremely steep learning curve, thanks to all of you and the hunting beast.

Sounds like you have "that" spot figured out... Next step would be to find more spots like that.

You got pictures of bucks, how do you go about deciding which winds to hunt? watching your videos and using the 1/3 rule, leeward side of hills got me here. Note: I haven't pinpointed a bed just a movement corridor to and from, applying the little I think I know, it's not far from where the camera was placed.
It's amazing to me how little info you can receive and know what to do or look for. It's a constant reminder of how much learning I've yet to do. . . Humbling to say the least.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:51 am

You got pictures of bucks, how do you go about deciding which winds to hunt? watching your videos and using the 1/3 rule, leeward side of hills got me here. Note: I haven't pinpointed a bed just a movement corridor to and from, applying the little I think I know, it's not far from where the camera was placed.
It's amazing to me how little info you can receive and know what to do or look for. It's a constant reminder of how much learning I've yet to do. . . Humbling to say the least.

A lot of it is a guess... But a confident guess. I usually can go into a new area and quickly assess where I think big bucks are bedding. You throw a stand at it and find out if your right or wrong.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:56 am

NOTED! I again, got stuck in the rut of over-thinking. I now get what you mean be, having a spot figured out. So, i have narrowed down a general area where there are bucks consistently moving during the day light hours. check. I have an idea of the prevailing winds, and a general area the deer are bedding. check. so now find more spots like that and wait for hunting season.
dan wrote:
A lot of it is a guess... But a confident guess. I usually can go into a new area and quickly assess where I think big bucks are bedding. You throw a stand at it and find out if your right or wrong.[/quote]
You've actually said this before, so ill be moving on to find some new areas!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:49 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:NOTED! I again, got stuck in the rut of over-thinking. I now get what you mean be, having a spot figured out. So, i have narrowed down a general area where there are bucks consistently moving during the day light hours. check. I have an idea of the prevailing winds, and a general area the deer are bedding. check. so now find more spots like that and wait for hunting season.
dan wrote:
A lot of it is a guess... But a confident guess. I usually can go into a new area and quickly assess where I think big bucks are bedding. You throw a stand at it and find out if your right or wrong.

You've actually said this before, so ill be moving on to find some new areas![/quote]
For a new guy getting past great looking bedding areas is a hard thing... You see a great layout and a great set up and you think "DONE DEAL!"... But in reality, I know of hundreds of "great looking spots" and literally sit at a new one each day, and yet I only get a handful of opportunities a year. and I have this as mastered as anybody I know of. You really need to have a lot of great spots figured out, or be good at figuring them out on the hunt, to really start to see consistent rewards... Of corse I have seen some people do real well with just a little knowledge and a lot of drive and passion if they are on the right properties, but if your hitting public or pressured whitetails, and hunting big bucks be ready for disappointment... And be prepared to step up.

Or the short version: You need more spots!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:15 am

You definitely want to have as many spots bas possible. I've located about 10-15 stand site's for this year and still feel like I don't have near enough for this upcoming season.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:59 am

With that said, I have found a few primary bedding areas over the years that have had a big buck come out every time they are sat. However those are few and far between.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:00 am

Dan is exactly 100% right!

"Your next step"...Is most likely failing to see a mature buck on many many sits. And probably being too loud while accessing & setting up. And most likely bumping a good share of deer. BUT, You will be learning a bunch, and becoming a more effective killer!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:43 am

dan wrote:

went into a new area over the weekend, i was making my way across a ridge roughly on the 1/3 of a hill and was approaching a soft edge going from open hard woods to some nasty cover. I spotted a deer, laying behind a tree (high side), on a "military crest", was on a point, on the border of thick cover and visibility to the main hunter access. He looks to be a good 8 slightly wider than his ears. By the time i realized he was there i was at only 50 yards, he was sleeping, because he adjusted himself and that's what caught my eye. Best part is i hung my camera, where i wanted to in the first place, and slinked back out of there with out bumping him. it was very hot and the ground was wet, so tat all probably helped me. that is the third buck ive seen in person since i began to "search for more spots". But the whole time i was there in the presence of that buck, i thinking that in the past four years of scouting, i have not seen as much buck sign/actual bucks either on the hoof or on my cameras. Dan i can absolutely attribute that to the knowledge that you so willing share with everyone. It's amazing what i have accomplished since ive been on the hunting beast, now how to translate this all to a buck on the ground! Also thanks to all of you for the advice! It's looking like its gonna be a good year!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:22 am

Mines more of general advice then a single step.

Stay out of the area and hunt smart.

Spend alot of time planning each entry route.

Focus on what wind to sit which place you selected.

Get your gear ready and do dry runs in areas you do not plan to hunt.
Any new gear be sure to take it to see if its noisy in multiple weather conditions.
Practice quiet setups.
Learn the fox walk.

Don't do what i did selected too many spots the first year or two i beast hunted.
Focus on a smaller number of spots say 20 and learn them to perfection.
I would say have at least 4 spots for each wind direction.

My first season i had over 60 and it was chaos and confusion to keep up with and decide which tree to be in everyday.

Spend life on Google earth lol serously though it gets several hundred hours a year.
Examine topo maps.

Go to print shop and have several huge maps printed of your areas use colored markers to start narrowing down bucks over several hunting seasons.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:06 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:
dan wrote:

went into a new area over the weekend, i was making my way across a ridge roughly on the 1/3 of a hill and was approaching a soft edge going from open hard woods to some nasty cover. I spotted a deer, laying behind a tree (high side), on a "military crest", was on a point, on the border of thick cover and visibility to the main hunter access. He looks to be a good 8 slightly wider than his ears. By the time i realized he was there i was at only 50 yards, he was sleeping, because he adjusted himself and that's what caught my eye. Best part is i hung my camera, where i wanted to in the first place, and slinked back out of there with out bumping him. it was very hot and the ground was wet, so tat all probably helped me. that is the third buck ive seen in person since i began to "search for more spots". But the whole time i was there in the presence of that buck, i thinking that in the past four years of scouting, i have not seen as much buck sign/actual bucks either on the hoof or on my cameras. Dan i can absolutely attribute that to the knowledge that you so willing share with everyone. It's amazing what i have accomplished since ive been on the hunting beast, now how to translate this all to a buck on the ground! Also thanks to all of you for the advice! It's looking like its gonna be a good year!

Sounds like a great day in the woods...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”