1/3 rule

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: 1/3 rule

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:17 am

Emrah wrote:Ok still not clear on this. It seems the two circled areas rfickes87 showed are windward side. The area tgreeno circled is leeward. All this assuming north is up in the pictures. What am I missing?

Emrah

You are correct. The 3 areas circled are the right type of terrain feature. That's where the bedding may most like be depending on the wind. But then to hunt it you need the correct wind, blowing over the top of the ridge. The areas Rfickles & I pointed out would be used on different winds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
cantfoou

Unread postby cantfoou » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:59 am

RidgeGhost wrote:I agree with rfickes87 in those two spots off the west side. The MAIN one I'd key in on is the main point coming off the flat. The one with three arrows coming out. If this was in my area, I would expect him to work back up the ridge toward the bottom white flag. There likely wont be much sign there, but may find some rubs or scrapes back out toward the north end of that flat or on that big bench flat off the east side. Blue would be my entry and set up around that blue dot if I was going to hunt it blind.

Ok here’s what I found. I spent 6 hours hiking around. The entire area on the leeward side and top is covered with oak brush chest to head height super super thick. Just nasty. Other than one great bed that was below where you put the 3 arrowed circle at about the 1500 mark I didn’t find anything. Although I could have easily missed a ton of stuff because of the thickness. The upper circle of yours on the left was a nice patch of hardwoods with some rubs a scrap, hub and some good trails, but also a treestand. The lower circle Is off limits so I didn’t look. So I really only found one nice bed but the amount of noise it would take to get in and lack of good trees makes me wonder if it’s a good idea. Apparently this area was burnt about 3-4 years ago. So it’s crazy thick. I did not know this going in. On the bright side about 2 miles away I checked on a trail cam I put in a few months ago and got a clip of a nice black bear.
cantfoou

Unread postby cantfoou » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 am

dan wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:Is that dashed line where you walked? If so I'd go back and check these two areas. Would like to see a satellite view as well but just going off of Topo id bet the farm that there is bedding at these locations I circled.

It can be hard whan people don't add a location to there profile, but most of the lower 48 has westerly winds as the common and East as the rare. I looked at those spots too, and believe there would be beds there, but my primary focus would be that steep ridge area and/or the flat that was pointed out cause it lays out well for common west and north winds.

Fixed my location in profile. Thanks!
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:40 am

cantfoou wrote:
RidgeGhost wrote:I agree with rfickes87 in those two spots off the west side. The MAIN one I'd key in on is the main point coming off the flat. The one with three arrows coming out. If this was in my area, I would expect him to work back up the ridge toward the bottom white flag. There likely wont be much sign there, but may find some rubs or scrapes back out toward the north end of that flat or on that big bench flat off the east side. Blue would be my entry and set up around that blue dot if I was going to hunt it blind.

Ok here’s what I found. I spent 6 hours hiking around. The entire area on the leeward side and top is covered with oak brush chest to head height super super thick. Just nasty. Other than one great bed that was below where you put the 3 arrowed circle at about the 1500 mark I didn’t find anything. Although I could have easily missed a ton of stuff because of the thickness. The upper circle of yours on the left was a nice patch of hardwoods with some rubs a scrap, hub and some good trails, but also a treestand. The lower circle Is off limits so I didn’t look. So I really only found one nice bed but the amount of noise it would take to get in and lack of good trees makes me wonder if it’s a good idea. Apparently this area was burnt about 3-4 years ago. So it’s crazy thick. I did not know this going in. On the bright side about 2 miles away I checked on a trail cam I put in a few months ago and got a clip of a nice black bear.

Nice. Good work getting out there. I know what you're talking about with that scrub oak in a burn area, I've dealt with it. It's nearly impossible to get into it. Knowing that, I'd look at transitions along the burn line, where it goes from scrub to hardwoods.

And if you can't find what you're looking for, move on. It takes covering a ton of ground to find enough spots to fill a hunting season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”