Trails or not trails? (google earth pic)

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

msw08d

Trails or not trails? (google earth pic)

Unread postby msw08d » Sat May 19, 2018 10:50 am

Been a while since i've posted but feels good to be back. My vote is trails but I'm wondering what some fellow beasts would say. I'm looking at the ones running north/south just to the west of the island in the marsh.

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Re: Trails or not trails? (google earth pic)

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat May 19, 2018 11:10 am

I'd vote yea. Probably game trails, whether they're from deer, hard to say.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat May 19, 2018 11:28 am

I would say yes!

The big east-west ones look like some type of channel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Sat May 19, 2018 11:45 am

yes to trails
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat May 19, 2018 12:15 pm

the small ones going up and down you can see are deer trails going to dry land or islands the east west large ones are obviously waterways
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat May 19, 2018 12:24 pm

For sure trails but don't let them fool you into thinking the deer pound these places, its just centuries of deer using these locations. If you had an aerial photo of this same spot 500 years ago you might see something very similar. Some spots might be killer but others might be empty most of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 19, 2018 12:36 pm

headgear wrote:For sure trails but don't let them fool you into thinking the deer pound these places, its just centuries of deer using these locations. If you had an aerial photo of this same spot 500 years ago you might see something very similar. Some spots might be killer but others might be empty most of the time.

Exactly. I see trails like that on aerials that I know were used heavily years ago but now not so much but they still show up on recent views. Only way to know for sure is go there and look for yourself. Many times hunters can beat down a good trail like that in cattails. I know I have created a few and saw them on new aerials. Sometimes deer take those trails over and other times not so much but they can fool guys who only look at aerials but don’t confirm with boots on the ground.
msw08d

Unread postby msw08d » Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 pm

Interesting thought about the fact that these trails may be really old and no longer used. The trails on the aerials go way back so I guess I will need to get out there and see whats what.

On a side note is there any real way to tell if a trail is actively used vs. old non used trail just off the aerials??
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sat May 19, 2018 1:37 pm

looks like you found an area worth further investigation
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 19, 2018 2:32 pm

msw08d wrote:Interesting thought about the fact that these trails may be really old and no longer used. The trails on the aerials go way back so I guess I will need to get out there and see whats what.

On a side note is there any real way to tell if a trail is actively used vs. old non used trail just off the aerials??

Tracks don’t lie. If the trail goes thru deeper water check the mud or muck at the entry and exit from the water.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat May 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Seems like the trails really gravitate towards the West side of that one larger island. May be a good spot to set a trail camera and get an idea of what’s going on.

I found a spot similar to this where it was a shoal on a large river, maybe 1’ deep all the way across. Bucks bedded on the private side and crossed onto public during the rut. They used the edge of a river island as a staging area to scope out the public land before actually entering.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”