Reactions when you find the right spot.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Reactions when you find the right spot.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:48 am

Today while scouting found one of the coolest buck bedding areas.

My reaction was oh my!
Then the questions flooding my mind
Why here?
What's better about this point then that one 50 yards away?
How is the wind better for the buck here then on that other point within sight both looked almost identical.

A large swamp drainage running south to north from a lake very thick cover all along it with a hardwood opening at tip of a point surrounded by several large boulders and cane Thicket. Like Dan said bucks were bedding all the way around this point just like the Hill country video showed.

Looking at it on the topo I would not have thought it near as good as the sign in that location and noticed nothing appealing or out of the ordinary about it from a aerial or topo. No real transition line just a swamp edge meeting cane. For years I've heard Dan talk about his best primary bedding having many many beds never really seeing this in my areas at all until now.

This little point had to have had at least 50 beds all around the point on all elevations.

A light turned on like wow this is exactly what Dan meant. Scouting thousands of acres hundreds of buck bedding areas this is my first like this.

Leaving the bedding area like Dan said lol not a single huntable tree for 140 yards on the southeast side of the point just scrub n cane.

Truly amazing how unique and different some bedding areas are then others.

What reactions go through you guys minds when you find that oh my spot?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Reactions when you find the right spot.

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri May 04, 2018 9:30 am

My reactions are...

How do I kill a buck out of here. Then, lets go find 10 more just like it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri May 04, 2018 10:05 am

Oh geeze. When I read the title my mind suddenly drifted to the wrong place for a forum. :naughty: :lol:
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Fri May 04, 2018 10:33 am

First My reaction is :dance: . The my next reaction is I'm going to kill this buck next season and I figure out how I'm going to do it and wait for the right conditions. My entrance, conditions (time of year), and locations will be somewhat already thought out but I adjust depending on what I see when I get back there in season too.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Fri May 04, 2018 11:49 am

The ones I've found that really click I find myself just sitting in the bed laughing. Laughing at how perfect it is and how it all makes sense.

Then I go figure out how I'm going to kill him.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri May 04, 2018 12:08 pm

Lot of times I will walk into an area. Cover some ground looking. I will leave thinking about this spot I just looked at. I will be at work an it will hit me like turning on a light switch. Answer will suddenly be there. When I walk back into that area it looks like a totally different spot.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:33 pm

My best spot to this day , you just knew it. The beds were substantially bigger than most beds. Big poop. Some nice lookin rubs nearby. Thick.

Im thinkin to myself , " This GOTS to be a bucks regular bedroom,,, if it ain't then nothin ain't". :L:
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:33 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Oh geeze. When I read the title my mind suddenly drifted to the wrong place for a forum. :naughty: :lol:

Lol when I wrote the title naughty never crossed my mind strange for a 30 year old I know.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:Lot of times I will walk into an area. Cover some ground looking. I will leave thinking about this spot I just looked at. I will be at work an it will hit me like turning on a light switch. Answer will suddenly be there. When I walk back into that area it looks like a totally different spot.

Lol yeah several of my spots I hunted last year the area looked completely different then it did in the spring when I scouted it.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri May 04, 2018 1:30 pm

RidgeGhost wrote:The ones I've found that really click I find myself just sitting in the bed laughing. Laughing at how perfect it is and how it all makes sense.

Then I go figure out how I'm going to kill him.

Yep! :lol: Then I have the thought "dang this is almost impossible to get set up on!" When you have that thought you know it's a good buck bed! 8-)
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Fri May 04, 2018 1:46 pm

[quote="Tennhunter3"]

Leaving the bedding area like Dan said lol not a single huntable tree for 140 yards on the southeast side of the point just scrub n cane.

/quote]

so did you figure out how your going to make a set in that spot without a tree to sit in?
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri May 04, 2018 2:48 pm

When I get into a spot like that I slow way down. I analyze every little detail. I figure out how I’m gonna get in there and what conditions, and if it’s a morning or evening set up or both. I might average one spot like that in a whole day of scouting public sometimes none. I walk right by spots I wouldn’t have 3 years ago beast scouting. The more you do it the more you get that feeling.
Old Ireland

Unread postby Old Ireland » Sat May 05, 2018 5:13 am

This is my first spring scouting. I started in January and am just now feeling a little more proficient. I get REALLY pumped up and slowing down and being detailed is hard for me. I kind of go through a check list of questions I ask myself now to help.
-What wind is he here
-Based off wind how can I access cleanly?
-Based on the wind what exit trail or tree works best. If possible I pick several kill trees.
When decisions are made I record all the info so I don't forget.

I wish I would of done these with the spots I found in January :doh:
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:49 am

jporcello wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:

/quote]

so did you figure out how your going to make a set in that spot without a tree to sit in?

It's definitely a evening spot before daylight I would be wading in snake filled swamp making tons of noise . I don't think I can get in clean.

Well I have 2 options hunt North of the bedding area along the cane which is definitely best and hope the bucks exit that way. This is thicker a lot more water but at least has trees. This setup could hunt multiple wind directions I think as long as it's out of south southwest or west.

Strategically this sets up best for me or so it appears. Definitely is more flexible then option 2.

I could setup in the swamp just directly south of bedding and shoot the buck as he walks east of me on the Southeast trail must enter only from the south. Their are no trees east of the trail for my Alpha.

If I have a small buck come through first he will catch my thermal and ruin my set risky. This set would be on a wind blowing to the south.

I don't see this being my best option.

It looks like these bucks are mainly traveling that cane edge after leaving bedding. The rubs were on both sides of the tree on the trail so it appears the main trail is being used morning and evening traveling north to south. Bucks on this public land avoid all hardwoods like the plague so I highly doubt they will walk torward the west a lot of hunting pressure that way. If they go directly east it's just a huge cane Thicke antlers I would think would get caught on everything.
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Sat May 05, 2018 8:28 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
jporcello wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:

/quote]

It's definitely a evening spot before daylight I would be wading in snake filled swamp making tons of noise . I don't think I can get in clean.

Well I have 2 options hunt North of the bedding area along the cane which is definitely best and hope the bucks exit that way. This is thicker a lot more water but at least has trees. This setup could hunt multiple wind directions I think as long as it's out of south southwest or west.

Strategically this sets up best for me or so it appears. Definitely is more flexible then option 2.

I could setup in the swamp just directly south of bedding and shoot the buck as he walks east of me on the Southeast trail must enter only from the south. Their are no trees east of the trail for my Alpha.

If I have a small buck come through first he will catch my thermal and ruin my set risky. This set would be on a wind blowing to the south.

I don't see this being my best option.

It looks like these bucks are mainly traveling that cane edge after leaving bedding. The rubs were on both sides of the tree on the trail so it appears the main trail is being used morning and evening traveling north to south. Bucks on this public land avoid all hardwoods like the plague so I highly doubt they will walk torward the west a lot of hunting pressure that way. If they go directly east it's just a huge cane Thicke antlers I would think would get caught on everything.

hunting from the ground not an option?
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”