Buck beds...Yes! Mature Buck beds?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Buck beds...Yes! Mature Buck beds?

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:50 am

I've read thru all the greatest tactical threads on buck beds. And I realize all the different kinds of beds there are. Primary, secondary, pressured, rut, early season, summer, winter... And fortunately for me, I have had good success finding many buck beds. Some I think are just OK looking. Some I think are really good. But how good are they really? I know there are not absolutes in hunting mature bucks. I have scouted many spots. My real question is how many of them are really holding that mature buck? Until I actually see one coming out of a bed, I will always question it. I saw one get up out of a bed last season, in 50+ sits.

First off..How do you know for sure, the bedding is holding a mature buck? And not just 1-3 year olds. How do you know if a bed or bedding area is just stringing you along? Or you've just had bad timing, and missed seeing him. Is it really worth spend time there?

I know the usual responses. No human intrusion, high security, great escape, rock solid set-up. I think I have all of these, in a bunch of my spots, yet i'm not seeing bucks.

Just trying to spur some mature buck bedding discussion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Buck beds...Yes! Mature Buck beds?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:47 am

For me I use cameras to take inventory to know what is in the area then I hunt the bedding areas I know are more used. Big tracks help but that does not always equate to what sits on their skull cap.... so it really boils down to what someone considers as a mature buck. In Ohio the average 2.5 year old will push P&Y - that's hardly a mature animal to me . In some places in the south a 5 year old might only grow 125 inch rack - that obviously is a mature animal. however, a lot of guys prefer to go after bucks based off what is on top not by how old they are. To me there is nothing like visual confirmation the buck you are after (or one of the caliber you are after) is in the area. Glassing doesn't work well in most areas I hunt so tracks and a pic or two lets me know he is in the area, then my scouting done earlier in year,and knowledge of the area, leads me where to hunt. I really don't try to ascertain if a single bed is being used by a mature buck as much as I try to determine if he is using a particular bedding area. I seldom hunt a solitary bed - just not as productive for me as hunting approach/exit to general bedding areas. And I don't consider an entire woodlot a bedding area - it could be a point, an elevated ridge, a thicker area, a small brushy area in CRP, etc....
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:14 am

I have the same question, I'm interested to see where this post goes. For me it becomes more difficult when there are many options for bedding, with lower deer densities specifically.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:51 am

Like mentioned camera’s are a big one. Nothing is better than a current picture to tell you what caliber of bucks are around. During the season I mostly rely on really fresh sign. Basically if there are large tracks, large droppings and really fresh rubs coming and going from known bedding I know a particular bed is being used. Tracks are my biggest indicator by far.

Finding beds while scouting is only a small piece of the puzzle and doesn’t mean much at all unless you can figure out exactly when and even more important why they are being used. Mature bucks bed in certain spots for a reason and when you figure that out it gets much easier. During the season I am constantly spot checking known bedding trails and if I find a very fresh set of large tracks obviously left by a mature buck you can bet I will be setting up near that staging area especially if very fresh tracks are going in but not going out meaning he may be bedded there RIGHT NOW. This is where years and years of observation and knowing particular bedding areas inside and out really pays off.

Nobody is 100% perfect setting up on mature buck beds. We will fail way more times than we succeed but using all the intel provided to us we can really narrow that gap between failure and success. So many expect overnight success hunting this way but reality is it probably won’t happen but after gaining years of intel and paying attention to details it does get easier.

Bottom line is you need bucks to hunt. You can’t hunt what’s not there no matter how hard you try. If your not finding mature buck sign it’s time to move on until you do.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:40 am

Dewey wrote:Like mentioned camera’s are a big one. Nothing is better than a current picture to tell you what caliber of bucks are around. During the season I mostly rely on really fresh sign. Basically if there are large tracks, large droppings and really fresh rubs coming and going from known bedding I know a particular bed is being used. Tracks are my biggest indicator by far.

Finding beds while scouting is only a small piece of the puzzle and doesn’t mean much at all unless you can figure out exactly when and even more important why they are being used. Mature bucks bed in certain spots for a reason and when you figure that out it gets much easier. During the season I am constantly spot checking known bedding trails and if I find a very fresh set of large tracks obviously left by a mature buck you can bet I will be setting up near that staging area especially if very fresh tracks are going in but not going out meaning he may be bedded there RIGHT NOW. This is where years and years of observation and knowing particular bedding areas inside and out really pays off.

Nobody is 100% perfect setting up on mature buck beds. We will fail way more times than we succeed but using all the intel provided to us we can really narrow that gap between failure and success. So many expect overnight success hunting this way but reality is it probably won’t happen but after gaining years of intel and paying attention to details it does get easier.

Bottom line is you need bucks to hunt. You can’t hunt what’s not there no matter how hard you try. If your not finding mature buck sign it’s time to move on until you do.

Great post Dewey! I do need to use cameras more in summer for inventory. And up my glassing & shining routine.

Until I find success, I will always have that sliver of doubt. I think I know what good areas look like, but are they really as good as I think they are?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:50 am

Finding beds is easy, finding great bedding areas that produce constantly takes some effort and an eye for recognizing key features in spots others don't see... Whe you walk into a bedding area that is obviously over looked by others and you see dozens of beds in a 1/2 acre spot with rubs all over the place within the bedding area dating back for years and appearing to have come from different times of the year and the exit trails are well defined... Yea, I pretty much know I will have action. FINDING THOSE TAKES A LOT OF LEG WORK THOUGH.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:08 am

Good point Dan about the old rubs.....I forgot to mention that. I find the absolute best secure primary bedding will have great sign from past years. Even if one buck gets killed others will move in and take over. Rarely ever see sign of immature bucks in these beds as it seems the most dominant bucks in the area choose them. Quite often I see younger bucks bedding on the fringes and I believe many mistakenly see those bucks thinking they are the only buck around. Biggest mistake many make is killing the younger buck or losing focus after seeing them because the older one may be following shortly after. I have been burned by this enough and learned to be patient. Mature bucks have a knack for hanging back and observing using other deer to tip them off to danger.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:44 am

I don't just look for mature buck beds. I look for mature buck beds with the right sign (old and new) and in the right terrain. In hill country/mountains the terrain is key. It must be an overlooked spot and in an area a big mature buck would be. If all these things line up then I know there is a good chance of a mature buck using it. I saw only one mature buck leave a bed last year also, and it was bedding I wrote off as doe bedding 60 yards form a spot I had hunted probably a dozen times, so it goes to show sometimes you never know either.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:21 pm

That's interesting Branch, I was just thinking today, I'm curious how many of the beds I wrote off as doe bedding are going to turn out to be bucks. I have one spot in particular I may give some extra attention because of this comment. Thanks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:36 pm

Old lone mature does will sometimes use buck beds. Seen this a number of times. They will seek out those prime secluded spots where you normally won’t ever see antlerless deer. Always a shock when you hear a deer steadily headed your direction, getting ready to see a big buck and it ends up being being a big ole’ doe. :doh:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:00 am

Having a history with an area has to make a huge difference. I only have one season under my belt with most of my new areas. And I already feel like I have a better handle on what's happening.

I've actually moved tree's in a good number of those spots, from hunting them one season, and more post season scout trips. Trying to evolve into a more effective killer 8-)
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:43 am

Knowing whether a mature buck is in his bed is a guess what wind he is using it and time of year. Luck and noise going in play a role I've jumped my fair share.

I notice several things for the most part that let me know mature buck bed.

Bed size
Large rubs arm size or larger usually only 1-4 rubs - scrape upwind of the bed but within sight of the bed.

Most mature buck beds I find only have 1-2 beds usually at different elevations on the hillside so he always has the perfect wind while bedding.

Part is gut instinct sometimes must be trusted some spots just have a feel to them.

Good back cover is common with mature buck beds.

For the last 2 years this has been something I've been going through. A few buck bedding areas are questionable but most young buck bedding it's obvious it's immature bucks.

If it's a very overlooked spot with only minimal buck sign it's probably a 5 plus year olds bedding area. Those really old bucks leave very little sign.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:40 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:Knowing whether a mature buck is in his bed is a guess what wind he is using it and time of year. Luck and noise going in play a role I've jumped my fair share.

I notice several things for the most part that let me know mature buck bed.

Bed size
Large rubs arm size or larger usually only 1-4 rubs - scrape upwind of the bed but within sight of the bed.

Most mature buck beds I find only have 1-2 beds usually at different elevations on the hillside so he always has the perfect wind while bedding.

Part is gut instinct sometimes must be trusted some spots just have a feel to them.

Good back cover is common with mature buck beds.

For the last 2 years this has been something I've been going through. A few buck bedding areas are questionable but most young buck bedding it's obvious it's immature bucks.

If it's a very overlooked spot with only minimal buck sign it's probably a 5 plus year olds bedding area. Those really old bucks leave very little sign.

Interesting. What’s your thoughts on this? I can’t say I’ve seen them upwind or understand why they’d be upwind of a buck bed.

I do see them at the heads of draws on top, low in elevation downwind of doe bedding, and a doe trail in a funneled area.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:56 pm

Here in SW Michigan I have yet to find a “primary” bed of a mature buck. There is an adaption that takes place as the season progresses. First up is early season beds, then hunters invade the woods about a month before the season starts. Then the pressured beds become active. After that the foliage begins to drop which forces another change in bedding. Up next is the rut which has them relocating more adjacent to does. As the season progresses, does are bread, gun season pressure and snow has them moving beds again based on available food sources.
I have started soaking cameras 10-12 feet up overlooking what appears to be an active bed. Since our hunting seasons start the end of September with early doe and youth hunts, I set these cameras over these beds in mid August and leave them for the entire season without checking them. As soon as all the seasons close, I pull the cameras, cross reference with weather underground and use the intel for the following season.

Since most hunters like to show what they have killed, I also check local forums to see what has been killed from my area if I’m not seeing the buck on any of those forms, I will then revisit the bedding location and prep accordingly.

Now going into next season, I have this intel:
1)size of buck
2)time of year being used
3)wind direct that is preferred
4)general idea of his exit route.

After a couple seasons of applying the principles of this site, I learned not every buck or every geographic location received the memo on these principles. After getting throughly ticked with not having my desired results, I chose to climb out of the stand and put boots on the ground in attempt to figure out “why”. Decisions such as when to creep known bedding areas is a big factor as well. Creeping those beds shouldn’t be done on the weekend when there are higher numbers of hunters in the woods. Mid day is also a given.... once again, less hunters which equals less chance for others to capitalize off my
Knowledge and actions.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:48 am

dirt nap giver wrote:Here in SW Michigan I have yet to find a “primary” bed of a mature buck. There is an adaption that takes place as the season progresses. First up is early season beds, then hunters invade the woods about a month before the season starts. Then the pressured beds become active. After that the foliage begins to drop which forces another change in bedding. Up next is the rut which has them relocating more adjacent to does. As the season progresses, does are bread, gun season pressure and snow has them moving beds again based on available food sources.
I have started soaking cameras 10-12 feet up overlooking what appears to be an active bed. Since our hunting seasons start the end of September with early doe and youth hunts, I set these cameras over these beds in mid August and leave them for the entire season without checking them. As soon as all the seasons close, I pull the cameras, cross reference with weather underground and use the intel for the following season.

Since most hunters like to show what they have killed, I also check local forums to see what has been killed from my area if I’m not seeing the buck on any of those forms, I will then revisit the bedding location and prep accordingly.

Now going into next season, I have this intel:
1)size of buck
2)time of year being used
3)wind direct that is preferred
4)general idea of his exit route.

After a couple seasons of applying the principles of this site, I learned not every buck or every geographic location received the memo on these principles. After getting throughly ticked with not having my desired results, I chose to climb out of the stand and put boots on the ground in attempt to figure out “why”. Decisions such as when to creep known bedding areas is a big factor as well. Creeping those beds shouldn’t be done on the weekend when there are higher numbers of hunters in the woods. Mid day is also a given.... once again, less hunters which equals less chance for others to capitalize off my
Knowledge and actions.

So are you saying soaking the cameras on beds didn't work for you at all? No bucks at all, or just no shooter bucks? So did creeping beds get you better results? Still no bucks? Or just no mature bucks? What tactic are you finding best works in the areas you hunt?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”