Coming to the same tree

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Old Ireland

Coming to the same tree

Unread postby Old Ireland » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:12 am

Hi all,
I really appreciate all the knowledge on this site and am impressed how respectful everyone is and willing to share. I have ran into a situation I feel I need some advice on as I'm new to hunting public ground. I just started using these tactics and this is my first spring scouting season. I have recently been really checking out a specific piece that has a ton of stands along a creek bottom and the fields that are a decent walk form the parking lot but still pretty easy to access for the most part...I obviously crossed these spot off and worked my way to a far corner piece. I found what I beleive to be primary bedding. Tons of beds with big rubs and scrapes on the exit trails. Anyway, I followed several exit trails out and found a point where they funnel down next to a small creek about 100 yards from the beds. There was a perfect tree and I could access from the creek with no ground scent. I went to check the tree out and I noticed limbs had been freshly cut for strategic shots. So somebody is already planning on hunting the tree... How do you all approach situations like this? Thanks

Mgaspari

Re: Coming to the same tree

Unread postby Mgaspari » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:44 am

Don’t think there is one answer for that, I only guess. Maybe a gun hunter? Maybe someone like me who preps lots of spots but may never hunt it? Or maybe someone who will sit there every weekend for a month. I look for a combination of clues ie trash left, number or severity of marks on tree from climber or sticks, but it comes down to an educated guess. Only way to know for sure is throw a sit at it, if someone’s there then move on.
If you have a lot of options then cross it off your list, if not a lot of options then give it a try
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:58 am

I wouldn't be afraid to throw a sit at it early season to see if there has been any human activity.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:03 am

Redman232 wrote:I wouldn't be afraid to throw a sit at it early season to see if there has been any human activity.

I agree...But just have a back-up in mind in-case it doesn't work out.

Also remember, another hunter could be stinking up the area when you're not there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:51 am

Hunt it the first chance you can in the season when the wind is right. Public land means trying to beat deer at their game, while competing against other hunters as well. But by first chance, I mean like the first day of the season with the wind you want. Get there earlier in the day (might have to sit awhile, or wait 100 yards from the tree), be ready to back out if somebody is there, and have a plan ready to roll either if he is there, or he comes waltzing in with smoke coming out his ears when he sees you there. I wouldn't ever rule out hunting a tree that is already prepped if its where I want it to be.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:52 am

I would give it a shot regardless. But yes just like tgreeno said, make sure you have a backup plan.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:19 am

I'm not sure of the best way of dealing with it.
I can say any pressure or other hunters means adapt or move on. Maybe pick a different wind strategy with a different exit trail. Or get a closer ambush location if possible.
Did the guy take trimming liberties that are best shared with c.o.?
What is your gut feeling for it?
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:32 am

If I stood in the same tree, I think my guilt would get the best of me. I am hunting my home area for the first time in 15+ years, I have been finding a lot of the same scenarios. I need to grow a set and do just what the guys above say.
Old Ireland

Unread postby Old Ireland » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:56 am

Thanks for the all the info. It really sets up for a west or south west wind at the pinch. I considered moving in closer to a scrape leaving the main exit trail but I'd be about 50 yards from the beds at that point. Don't know if I'm stealthy enough for that. I'm thinking I will hunt it once early as I do have back up spots pretty close. This was just a really nice looking spot but I did realize its going to have pressure till I saw the trimming. I did think maybe its somebody like minded who isn't going to burn it completely out.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Like the others said, give it a try. This year I had guys walk in on me, I walked in on others, even had a couple trees picked out in some nasty stuff and had other guys using the same trees as well. Public can be tough. My first day out I had to go to plan c, and still got walked in on. Just the way it goes some years.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:27 pm

If it was really something I was interested in, I would Boobie trap it. Nothing to hurt anyone just something to let me know it's been hunted. Can be as easy as laying a tree branch over his tree, or wracking a soft spot of soil to get a track. Every time out counts so I don't wanna be wasting time sitting where someone else is 5 days a week. Make a plan b downwind of that spot.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:58 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:If it was really something I was interested in,I would Boobie trap it. Nothing to hurt anyone just something to let me know it's been hunted. Can be as easy as laying a tree branch over his tree, or wracking a soft spot of soil to get a track. Every time out counts so I don't wanna be wasting time sitting where someone else is 5 days a week. Make a plan b downwind of that spot.

exactly what I was going to say.

Here's what I would do in that situation. 1) boobie trap the tree. Place a branch in that tree so he can't get in without removing it. Break it so there isn't a cut mark, that way he thinks it fell out of that tree. Or use a dead branch with no bark on it. If you think that's a good spot early season, hunt it ASAP. 2) Like you already mentioned, set up closer than he does. 50 yards is 100% do-able. Make a ground blind if you can. There is no quieter way to set up on a buck than hunting him from the ground. Prep something this spring. 3) If you do sneak in tight to bedding don't do it in dry, quiet, calm conditions if you're not confident you can pull it off. Go in early season before everything is dead and dry. Go in when its really windy. Often times when the wind is blowing 20-25mph it calms down quite a bit at prime time. Or go in after/during rain.
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:If it was really something I was interested in,I would Boobie trap it. Nothing to hurt anyone just something to let me know it's been hunted. Can be as easy as laying a tree branch over his tree, or wracking a soft spot of soil to get a track. Every time out counts so I don't wanna be wasting time sitting where someone else is 5 days a week. Make a plan b downwind of that spot.

exactly what I was going to say.

Here's what I would do in that situation. 1) boobie trap the tree. Place a branch in that tree so he can't get in without removing it. Break it so there isn't a cut mark, that way he thinks it fell out of that tree. Or use a dead branch with no bark on it. If you think that's a good spot early season, hunt it ASAP. 2) Like you already mentioned, set up closer than he does. 50 yards is 100% do-able. Make a ground blind if you can. There is no quieter way to set up on a buck than hunting him from the ground. Prep something this spring. 3) If you do sneak in tight to bedding don't do it in dry, quiet, calm conditions if you're not confident you can pull it off. Go in early season before everything is dead and dry. Go in when its really windy. Often times when the wind is blowing 20-25mph it calms down quite a bit at prime time. Or go in after/during rain.

X2 what lockdown said exactly, only thing I would add is practice and perfect your setup in the yard or something because that scrape near the bedding my be a better option
Aim small miss small
Old Ireland

Unread postby Old Ireland » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:48 am

Wow! You guys are on a different level me. I am going to give the boobie trap a try. I really don't think I would of thought of that. Thanks!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:12 am

You described a "ton" of stands and also "prep" from another hunter - I would not be enthused to hunt this spot an would move on.

If it is a must hunt situation then the few scenarios I would consider are weekday only, bad weather, morning ambush hunt or other side of bedding area. They may have trails going by the creek and stands but if they are setup to pick that hunter off then when he comes to hunt they should move the opposite way, after dark or out of range.

If you're hunting a high pressured area/state or just 1 other stand then id have little different mentality. If this is just one hunter w all the stands and prep then id expect him to be there anytime of season (probably not late season) and over hunting it. Which means there are better spots.

My .02

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”