Coming to the same tree

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Old Ireland

Re: Coming to the same tree

Unread postby Old Ireland » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:02 am

I would just move on but I jumped a nice buck scouting here in January. Property sets up like a rectangle running east west for a bout a mile and the majority of the pressure is on the east side close to parking. Also alot of the rut sign is where the stands are but I think that its mostly night sign or young bucks. There is a scrape right outside of bedding and some rubs then nothing for like 400 yards down this bottom. Once the sign starts popping up so are the stands and this goes all the way past parking into the ag fields to east. Weird thing is there is ag to the west but very few and light trails going out that way. Heaviest trails and buck sign head toward all the pressure :think:

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:59 am

Old Ireland wrote:I would just move on but I jumped a nice buck scouting here in January. Property sets up like a rectangle running east west for a bout a mile and the majority of the pressure is on the east side close to parking. Also alot of the rut sign is where the stands are but I think that its mostly night sign or young bucks. There is a scrape right outside of bedding and some rubs then nothing for like 400 yards down this bottom. Once the sign starts popping up so are the stands and this goes all the way past parking into the ag fields to east. Weird thing is there is ag to the west but very few and light trails going out that way. Heaviest trails and buck sign head toward all the pressure :think:

At that distance there is plenty of wiggle room to out hunt the other guys and the buck will tolerate his habits. Maybe I mis-read earlier thought the hunters were closer.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:00 pm

I know it's backward from what most guys mention but I might show up later than others on opening morning, as daylight is breaking. If you can't tell he's in there from where he parks his vehicle, I might sneak down the ditch and use binos to see if the other hunter is sitting in the tree. Going in early to beat other hunters never works in my favor and only gets me more aggravated. If he is there, Then I would move to plan b and most likely never look back. If he's not there it's yours for the morning.

Either way I would find as many new and better spots as possible in the meantime. Good luck
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:36 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:I know it's backward from what most guys mention but I might show up later than others on opening morning, as daylight is breaking. If you can't tell he's in there from where he parks his vehicle, I might sneak down the ditch and use binos to see if the other hunter is sitting in the tree. Going in early to beat other hunters never works in my favor and only gets me more aggravated. If he is there, Then I would move to plan b and most likely never look back. If he's not there it's yours for the morning.

Either way I would find as many new and better spots as possible in the meantime. Good luck

That is a great idea BC101 and I agree about finding more spots. One spot is only worth a few sits at most anyways.

Only thing I would say about that is if the hunters are couple hundred yards from bedding area, w essential conditions id setup close to bedding out of hunters view/range for the morning hunt. Id go make or break bc hes going to ruin the spot anyways throughout the season. If he shows up then maybe he jacks up the bucks entry before dawn and could work in OI favor bc he wont J-Hook his normal way... ? IDK....

One thing I found interesting is that he said the guy trimmed where Old Ireland chose a tree. So hes had encounters and at least one loss :lol: Plus the hunters are in the bottoms so thermals are getting them. So the deer must have already learned the hunter's habits and is out of range or winding while traveling through the area out of range... Which is why OI jumped him in Jan perhaps. :think: If the season doesnt go well might worth hunting here after the rut for late season crack.

One other point Old Ireland - you mention fainter trails going away from pressure to other ag. Youll have to see if there are crop rotations int he area bc they may be choosing one food over another. Traveling towards pressure after shooting light but still getting the food they want. If that is the case then sometimes you're scouting for 2 years ahead
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:44 am

Old Ireland wrote:I would just move on but I jumped a nice buck scouting here in January. Property sets up like a rectangle running east west for a bout a mile and the majority of the pressure is on the east side close to parking. Also alot of the rut sign is where the stands are but I think that its mostly night sign or young bucks. There is a scrape right outside of bedding and some rubs then nothing for like 400 yards down this bottom. Once the sign starts popping up so are the stands and this goes all the way past parking into the ag fields to east. Weird thing is there is ag to the west but very few and light trails going out that way. Heaviest trails and buck sign head toward all the pressure :think:

If you jumped a good buck out of it in January, then you definitely need to hunt it late season for sure in my opinion.
I would consider hunting as close as possible to the bedding (even if you have to set up on the ground or whatever) especially late season after they have been pressured.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”