Marsh Islands

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bggreen

Marsh Islands

Unread postby Bggreen » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:33 am

I am going on year 4 of this journey. My scouting in these last few years has been more of a wondering around the woods and hunting. I have harvested a fawn on opening day 2 years ago but nothing else. I was hunting a field edge of Beans. I have watched Dans video's and have gone into the swamps & marshes. This weekend I will be scouting another large marsh. The problem I am having is these marshes are full of islands with deer trails all over connecting the islands. My goal is to harvest a mature deer. Doe or Buck. I just don't know where to sit. Do I just sit on the ends of these islands where the trails intersect It seems like the bedding I am finding is on the south side of these islands or south west side of the islands no matter where I go. Do I set up on North side and wait for them to eat on the oak islands? I see guys in the video's shooting deer off these islands but the area around the islands seems grassy. I am dealing with mordor here. Entry by boat or kayak. Or marsh ski's or water up to your shins.
I know wind direction plays a part but lets assume a North west wind.

Bggreen

Re: Marsh Islands

Unread postby Bggreen » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:48 am

Ok, just got back. I got across to the islands and there is beds all over. It would be almost impossible to guess where they are. Looks like a cow yard. Rubs all over for hundreds of yards. Deer trails all over. Lots of hair in the woods. Hair all over. Must be shedding winter coats. I got a good idea of how to hunt these islands now. I am going to start at the top north end and move south closer across all islands as season progresses. By the end of season I will have hunted north to south and hopefully not bumped them to much. Don't want to go to deep in since beds are everywhere. Particularity on west side and south sides of these islands.
Jeff G
500 Club

Re: Marsh Islands

Unread postby Jeff G » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:01 am

Find the buck bed, sit in the buck bed, look out and see how far he can see, this will be a good representation of his staging area, set up just outside that. Pay close attention to how high you can set the stand on the tree. If you go to high, he will see you and bust you.

We do this for every kill set up we plan to hunt from

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”