High water last fall ?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

riverrat bbq

High water last fall ?

Unread postby riverrat bbq » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:51 pm

We had very high water last fall in the swamps. The deer also move out of the area for the winter. So I was out scouting the other day and found a few tracks out on the islands and around the swamps. The question I have is the areas I believe are beds still have snow on them or are covered in duckweed from last fall. How can I tell if it used to be a bed before the high water? The points have some poplar trees with lots of rubs and trails going to mainland but the beds cant be seen. Should I try going later this spring even if I have to wade out there? Thanks for any ideas.
chris

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: High water last fall ?

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:56 am

The islands are gonna most likey have the beds if there isnt any other cover around.
They wont lay in water unless extreme pressure is on them. The get hypothermia
Look for a deer outline in the ground matted down leaves grass pine needles etc
Remember dan always said for “some reason most guys wont wade through 6 inches of water “ deer seem to know this. If its very difficult, noisy ,wind advantage ,or sight advantage. (Deer use their eyes more than we think) the deer are gonna be there or somewhere close to it. Even a small drop in elevation in the middle of the woods will be a thermal advantage for the deer Scent will drop there and they will bed along a soft tranny in there
We are gonna all make mistakes but we gotta try and throw sits at places observation sits are a part of our learning process. Good luck keep us updated
riverrat bbq

Re: High water last fall ?

Unread postby riverrat bbq » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:57 pm

Thank you, this island is like most in the swamp. surrounded by cattails and water, it is a couple feet higher than the water. they may have moved due to the higher than normal water levels but I couldn't find much with the snow. I will be back out there as soon as it is gone.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”