Small Islands in the swamp...how far can I push the envelope?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Re: Small Islands in the swamp...how far can I push the envelope?

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:06 pm

dan wrote:
tgreeno wrote:From the position of the beds are you thinking they are bedding in there on some kind of an E or SE wind? Or are you thinking it is non wind specific bedding? Otherwise it could be a tricky entrance.

Just curious?

Most bedding in swamps is non-wind specific

So if that is true then you should this area in high winds????

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:12 am

Great find babs i want pics bro when you get one here
Blue line for sure
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:34 am

ontario farmer wrote:
dan wrote:
tgreeno wrote:From the position of the beds are you thinking they are bedding in there on some kind of an E or SE wind? Or are you thinking it is non wind specific bedding? Otherwise it could be a tricky entrance.

Just curious?

I would hunt this on any wind speed. Only thing I would really pay attention to is to make sure i did it on an off wind, that way the buck would not have a clue I was there till i shot him. i want my wind to just miss his approach and the bed I believe him to be in.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:28 am

Jeff G wrote:
ontario farmer wrote:
dan wrote:

Just curious?

I would hunt this on any wind speed. Only thing I would really pay attention to is to make sure i did it on an off wind, that way the buck would not have a clue I was there till i shot him. i want my wind to just miss his approach and the bed I believe him to be in.

JeffG, if swamp bedding isn't wind specific like Dan says then why would you chance a just off wind? Why not hunt it with the wind in your face?
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:57 am

RidgeGhost wrote:
Jeff G wrote:
ontario farmer wrote:
dan wrote:

Just curious?

JeffG, if swamp bedding isn't wind specific like Dan says then why would you chance a just off wind? Why not hunt it with the wind in your face?

I agree with what dan is saying. buck bedding is not wind specific in marsh. when i am saying off wind i mean any wind blowing in my face, or a wind that is blowing kinda towards him but is just missing him (off wind) Thats just off wind. it doesn't need to be 180 degrees to the bed location. this gives you more wind options to hunt that spot.

this is my approach

Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:27 am

Jeff G wrote:
I agree with what dan is saying. buck bedding is not wind specific in marsh. when i am saying off wind i mean any wind blowing in my face, or a wind that is blowing kinda towards him but is just missing him (off wind) Thats just off wind. it doesn't need to be 180 degrees to the bed location. this gives you more wind options to hunt that spot.

this is my approach

Woah that is awesome! And I scribbled blue and red lines on there like a 4 year old. Canadian education eh?

It should be best for me to hunt this spot with any version of a west wind. I suspect the best buck bedding will be to the west, off that island come season. It's pretty remote and there's no food out there other than cedar and dogwood so I'm hoping he gets up a little earlier and makes his way over to me on that island before heading further in land.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:47 am

Babshaft wrote:
Jeff G wrote:

this is my approach

Woah that is awesome! And I scribbled blue and red lines on there like a 4 year old. Canadian education eh?

It should be best for me to hunt this spot with any version of a west wind. I suspect the best buck bedding will be to the west, off that island come season. It's pretty remote and there's no food out there other than cedar and dogwood so I'm hoping he gets up a little earlier and makes his way over to me on that island before heading further in land.

yup, and you can get away with other winds if you need to (safe just as long as he does not get a whiff of your scent).
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:09 am

also exactly what jeff says but also watch your entry trail never cross or enter where your scent gonna hit the bedded buck even one whiff of your presence will tip him off to you
so pick your entry and exit routes
SwampThing1980

Unread postby SwampThing1980 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:56 am

Good post Babs... I have a very similar size island, probably about 60yards from the mainland.. the only difference is that even though there are tons of beds all over the island, there is hardly any rubs. I walked the entire island perimeter and still only found a couple of small rubs.:( I still have the surrounding areas to scout, but was kinda disappointed in not seeing any big buck sign; aside from coke can size clumped droppings.
This island has trails heading to another island, deeper into the swamp.. maybe this is where the big boy is hanging out. I did find that one portion of the mainland has two oaks about 40 yards back from the point of the mainland, and easy access. A decent rub here, no visible beds- too much water due to melting ice.. I plan to go scout the remainder of that property over the next couple of weekends- hopefully some better sign is around.. this is an area where normally quite a few big bucks get seen and sometimes shot...:)
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:07 pm

SwampThing1980 wrote:Good post Babs... I have a very similar size island, probably about 60yards from the mainland.. the only difference is that even though there are tons of beds all over the island, there is hardly any rubs. I walked the entire island perimeter and still only found a couple of small rubs.:( I still have the surrounding areas to scout, but was kinda disappointed in not seeing any big buck sign; aside from coke can size clumped droppings.
This island has trails heading to another island, deeper into the swamp.. maybe this is where the big boy is hanging out. I did find that one portion of the mainland has two oaks about 40 yards back from the point of the mainland, and easy access. A decent rub here, no visible beds- too much water due to melting ice.. I plan to go scout the remainder of that property over the next couple of weekends- hopefully some better sign is around.. this is an area where normally quite a few big bucks get seen and sometimes shot...:)

I still think you have something good on your hands buddy. I found another island today in decent proximity to that island. Only rubs on it were these:

(Look at the fresh one in the back)

It's loaded with beds and huge poop as well. I've got one buck that seems to love to snap small trees:

That island has 11 of those at chest height and where the major trails meet on the other side. I know it's a large buck (no moose here thank God). Even though I have that little bit of sign, I know this island is primary bedding. I've got worn down beds and beds in the snow. I think you've got the same primary bedding brother! Now you just need to figure out how to set up there...and get a big boy out of there after you kill him! :lol:

Let me know how tomorrow goes bro!
SwampThing1980

Unread postby SwampThing1980 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks brother:) i would post a picture of the area, but still have to figure out how to do that..:) I can say this for the area, I spent 2 hours scouting today and can probably spend another 6-8 just to cover the transitions that is in this area.. can’t wait:). Thinking I will be doing some of that tomorrow and then more on sunday.. there is this thing called work that keeps messing up my hunting schedule:)
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:42 pm

SwampThing1980 wrote:Thanks brother:) i would post a picture of the area, but still have to figure out how to do that..:) I can say this for the area, I spent 2 hours scouting today and can probably spend another 6-8 just to cover the transitions that is in this area.. can’t wait:). Thinking I will be doing some of that tomorrow and then more on sunday.. there is this thing called work that keeps messing up my hunting schedule:)

That sounds awesome man! I hear you buddy. I've got tomorrow to scout, work Thursday, and then a week off to do some more scouting. I'm lucky I have no kids yet and a wife that likes me happy!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”