Which Mapping Tools?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Re: Which Mapping Tools?

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:03 am

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:I like this one.

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Gives me many map options all on one site. Toggle the map selections at the bottom right of the screen.

I switched to this after I heard Dan mention it and love it. It's the best mapping program I've used so far to get details of an area and switch between views. I also use the sketch tool on the tablet which helps greatly. Since I use a GPS, I use Garmin Basecamp to import my data and analyze them.

I do the same with Basecamp. Every day my tracking data and scouting waypoints get downloaded from my GPS. Always cool viewing my walking tracks and any sign I found overlayed on aerials or topos. Really helps to put the entire picture together.

I also like that I can see areas I missed while scouting. A guy thinks he hits all the transitions, but it never fails, there's always a spot or two that you realize you missed or couldn't get to. :doh:

So can you download your GPS "tracks" onto an aerial map somehow? It looks like basemap is just a topo map.

On Basecamp there is a selection at the top under a dropdown where you can choose to View Map on Google Earth. Not at my desktop computer now so can’t verify but you will figure it out.

Dewey Do you happen to have a video link that you feel is useful to explain how to use a GPS to save and transfer routes or tracks? I have a Garmin Oregon 400 or 450t and I know that I am not using it to the best of it's capabilities. I look at a lot of maps and rely on memory to get me to many of these places. I am hoping I can do a couple of things with my GPS. One is to be able to turn it on and have it track my route while scouting or walking runways and then overlay them on to a topo to really see how the deer are utilizing these spots. I would also like to plot a planned route from home and then upload it into my GPS and be able to use the GPS to get me to that spot. Sadly I'm not as educated on this GPS as I should be but it seems like you have some really good uses that I would like to figure out this spring/summer with my GPS. Also is it possible to share these routes or markers with friends or family if you find a good area?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:13 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:
Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

Gives me many map options all on one site. Toggle the map selections at the bottom right of the screen.

I switched to this after I heard Dan mention it and love it. It's the best mapping program I've used so far to get details of an area and switch between views. I also use the sketch tool on the tablet which helps greatly. Since I use a GPS, I use Garmin Basecamp to import my data and analyze them.

I do the same with Basecamp. Every day my tracking data and scouting waypoints get downloaded from my GPS. Always cool viewing my walking tracks and any sign I found overlayed on aerials or topos. Really helps to put the entire picture together.

I also like that I can see areas I missed while scouting. A guy thinks he hits all the transitions, but it never fails, there's always a spot or two that you realize you missed or couldn't get to. :doh:

So can you download your GPS "tracks" onto an aerial map somehow? It looks like basemap is just a topo map.

On Basecamp there is a selection at the top under a dropdown where you can choose to View Map on Google Earth. Not at my desktop computer now so can’t verify but you will figure it out.

Dewey Do you happen to have a video link that you feel is useful to explain how to use a GPS to save and transfer routes or tracks? I have a Garmin Oregon 400 or 450t and I know that I am not using it to the best of it's capabilities. I look at a lot of maps and rely on memory to get me to many of these places. I am hoping I can do a couple of things with my GPS. One is to be able to turn it on and have it track my route while scouting or walking runways and then overlay them on to a topo to really see how the deer are utilizing these spots. I would also like to plot a planned route from home and then upload it into my GPS and be able to use the GPS to get me to that spot. Sadly I'm not as educated on this GPS as I should be but it seems like you have some really good uses that I would like to figure out this spring/summer with my GPS. Also is it possible to share these routes or markers with friends or family if you find a good area?

I don’t have any videos but if you go to the Garmin website you should find answers to everything you need there.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:25 am

Dewey wrote:
Whitetailaddict wrote:
Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

I don’t have any videos but if you go to the Garmin website you should find answers to everything you need there.

I believe YouTube has a bunch too. That's my go-to spot for informational videos.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Whitetailaddict wrote:
Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

I believe YouTube has a bunch too. That's my go-to spot for informational videos.

Thanks guys. I can't believe i didn't know about this sooner. I'm determined to figure this out this week.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:54 pm

I downloaded basecamp. In order to view any topo or satellite maps it appears you need to buy there maps or can you import a map from another site like hillmap or caltopo? Also can you just import/export waypoints and tracks to caltopo without needing basecamp? From what I can tell it appears you and if this is the case then what is the advantage of basecamp vs directly importing/exporting from the mapping website of your choice?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Whitetailaddict wrote:I downloaded basecamp. In order to view any topo or satellite maps it appears you need to buy there maps or can you import a map from another site like hillmap or caltopo? Also can you just import/export waypoints and tracks to caltopo without needing basecamp? From what I can tell it appears you and if this is the case then what is the advantage of basecamp vs directly importing/exporting from the mapping website of your choice?

I have downloaded waypoints directly into google earth pro.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:42 pm

Does Google Earth Pro cost anything?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:24 pm

ihookem wrote:Does Google Earth Pro cost anything?

nope...not for a computer at least.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jelf

Unread postby Jelf » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:48 pm

Thank you for the kind words about Gmap4. I am the developer.

There is a major update to Gmap4 in the works. If you would like a sneak peek, I have posted beta code. Just remember the rule “No commercial use”.

This new feature lets anyone surf data that is hosted on GIS (Geographical Information System) servers almost as easily as you surf the internet. Better yet, you do not need to know a single thing about GIS.

At last count there were roughly 1.2 bazillion layers of public data on GIS servers operated by all levels of government. Anyone can now *easily* surf that data with the beta version of Gmap4.

Here is a short PDF file with (1) the link to start the beta version of Gmap4, (2) “Quick start” instructions, (3) links to a couple reports I prepared with 200+ state and federal GIS server addresses and (4) some useful background if you are new to GIS. Please pay attention to the limitations noted in the pdf file.

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_beta_9-0.pdf

I look forward to any feedback you care to share.

Joseph
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:40 am

Awesome. Thanks Joseph. 8-)
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:01 am

Jelf wrote:Thank you for the kind words about Gmap4. I am the developer.

There is a major update to Gmap4 in the works. If you would like a sneak peek, I have posted beta code. Just remember the rule “No commercial use”.

This new feature lets anyone surf data that is hosted on GIS (Geographical Information System) servers almost as easily as you surf the internet. Better yet, you do not need to know a single thing about GIS.

At last count there were roughly 1.2 bazillion layers of public data on GIS servers operated by all levels of government. Anyone can now *easily* surf that data with the beta version of Gmap4.

Here is a short PDF file with (1) the link to start the beta version of Gmap4, (2) “Quick start” instructions, (3) links to a couple reports I prepared with 200+ state and federal GIS server addresses and (4) some useful background if you are new to GIS. Please pay attention to the limitations noted in the pdf file.

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_beta_9-0.pdf

I look forward to any feedback you care to share.

Joseph

Joseph - Will we be able to find contour intervals in the 1'-5' range? In the areas I hunt 1'-5' may mean the difference in supporting oak tree growth vs cypress trees ...or areas that would be ankle deep vs waist deep in high water conditions. It would be helpful for cyber scouting. I'm out to the game and fish commission and GIS department in Arkansas but haven't received an answer - they are 'researching' my question. If this will have that capability I could analyze on my own without relying on another source. Just curious. I'll spend some time on the site when I get a change. thanks!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Jelf

Unread postby Jelf » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:19 am

Dpierce72 wrote:
Joseph - Will we be able to find contour intervals in the 1'-5' range? In the areas I hunt 1'-5' may mean the difference in supporting oak tree growth vs cypress trees ...or areas that would be ankle deep vs waist deep in high water conditions. It would be helpful for cyber scouting. I'm out to the game and fish commission and GIS department in Arkansas but haven't received an answer - they are 'researching' my question. If this will have that capability I could analyze on my own without relying on another source. Just curious. I'll spend some time on the site when I get a change. thanks!

And the answer is - maybe. For example, I happen to know that one the Minnesota GIS servers (I forget which one) has 2 foot contours for much but not all of the state.

If I was you I would do a google search on each of the 3 Arkansas GIS servers I found.
For eac h search tell Google to limit the search to just one of those GIS servers.

Your google search will look like this:
site:https://gis.arkansas.gov/arcgis/rest/services contour

If you are searching on an expresssion then use quotes:
site:https://gis.arkansas.gov/arcgis/rest/services "fire station"

If you get a hit it will likely be to one the table-of-content pages on the GIS server. Open that page in your browser and copy its address from your browser bar. That is the address you want to paste into Gmap4.

Since contour data is really cool if you find any please let me know and I will make a note of that data in the list of GIS servers that I am curating.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:57 am

Jelf wrote:
Dpierce72 wrote:

And the answer is - maybe. For example, I happen to know that one the Minnesota GIS servers (I forget which one) has 2 foot contours for much but not all of the state.

If I was you I would do a google search on each of the 3 Arkansas GIS servers I found.
For eac h search tell Google to limit the search to just one of those GIS servers.

Your google search will look like this:
site:https://gis.arkansas.gov/arcgis/rest/services contour

If you are searching on an expresssion then use quotes:
site:https://gis.arkansas.gov/arcgis/rest/services "fire station"

If you get a hit it will likely be to one the table-of-content pages on the GIS server. Open that page in your browser and copy its address from your browser bar. That is the address you want to paste into Gmap4.

Since contour data is really cool if you find any please let me know and I will make a note of that data in the list of GIS servers that I am curating.

Thanks for the info. To be honest, this kinda blew my mind. I tried the steps but really not sure I did anything correctly. This went a bit over my head. :lol: I'll keep playing around with it to see if an 'ah ha' moment occurs and report back if I have any luck.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Jelf

Unread postby Jelf » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:09 am

This GIS surfing feature should show up in the production code sometime in April.
I will update the documentation with some step-by-step instructions.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:10 am

Awesome - Thank you!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”