Which Mapping Tools?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Net Guy
500 Club

Re: Which Mapping Tools?

Unread postby Net Guy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:23 am

Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:I like this one.

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Gives me many map options all on one site. Toggle the map selections at the bottom right of the screen.

I switched to this after I heard Dan mention it and love it. It's the best mapping program I've used so far to get details of an area and switch between views. I also use the sketch tool on the tablet which helps greatly. Since I use a GPS, I use Garmin Basecamp to import my data and analyze them.

I do the same with Basecamp. Every day my tracking data and scouting waypoints get downloaded from my GPS. Always cool viewing my walking tracks and any sign I found overlayed on aerials or topos. Really helps to put the entire picture together.

I also like that I can see areas I missed while scouting. A guy thinks he hits all the transitions, but it never fails, there's always a spot or two that you realize you missed or couldn't get to. :doh:

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:00 am

Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

Gives me many map options all on one site. Toggle the map selections at the bottom right of the screen.

I switched to this after I heard Dan mention it and love it. It's the best mapping program I've used so far to get details of an area and switch between views. I also use the sketch tool on the tablet which helps greatly. Since I use a GPS, I use Garmin Basecamp to import my data and analyze them.

I do the same with Basecamp. Every day my tracking data and scouting waypoints get downloaded from my GPS. Always cool viewing my walking tracks and any sign I found overlayed on aerials or topos. Really helps to put the entire picture together.

I also like that I can see areas I missed while scouting. A guy thinks he hits all the transitions, but it never fails, there's always a spot or two that you realize you missed or couldn't get to. :doh:

So can you download your GPS "tracks" onto an aerial map somehow? It looks like basemap is just a topo map.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:04 am

tgreeno wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

So can you download your GPS "tracks" onto an aerial map somehow? It looks like basemap is just a topo map.

On Basecamp there is a selection at the top under a dropdown where you can choose to View Map on Google Earth. Not at my desktop computer now so can’t verify but you will figure it out.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 am

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

On Basecamp there is a selection at the top under a dropdown where you can choose to View Map on Google Earth. Not at my desktop computer now so can’t verify but you will figure it out.

I didn’t even know you can do that. I buy the yearly Birdseye subscription and download the imagery to the GPS. Will definitely check that out. With such unreliable cell service and limited data, I rarely use my phone on a scouting trip other than take pics.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:31 am

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

It looks to me that I can download my garmin right into google earth pro. Then do I really need basecamp?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:48 am

tgreeno wrote:
Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

It looks to me that I can download my garmin right into google earth pro. Then do I really need basecamp?

Probably not. Then you can save a step. I’m usually on Basecsmp anyway backing up my unit so that’s why I access from there.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:41 am

County gis with 2' contour, and shaded public land.

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:57 am

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

Probably not. Then you can save a step. I’m usually on Basecsmp anyway backing up my unit so that’s why I access from there.

Just uploaded "my collection" from Basecamp to Google Earth and love it! Thanks for the tip. I'll still keep using basecamp to download ariels to my unit, but sending the data to google earth is awesome.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:02 am

I now use caltopo mapping support hillmap and google earth. Wherever i can get a good look at topo lines
Cause its so flat here they arent on all of them
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:22 am

I'm sure many of you know about this feature with mappingsupport (G4) but I just figured it out and felt it was pretty useful. There's a feature under the menu drop-down labeled "draw and save" which allows you to draw lines on the map. What's cool is that these lines stay when you flip between views. This has been useful when I am looking at public parcels with unique borders. Basically, I outline the boundary of the public land then when I switch between views, I still know where the boundary is.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 am

Net Guy wrote:I'm sure many of you know about this feature with mappingsupport (G4) but I just figured it out and felt it was pretty useful. There's a feature under the menu drop-down labeled "draw and save" which allows you to draw lines on the map. What's cool is that these lines stay when you flip between views. This has been useful when I am looking at public parcels with unique borders. Basically, I outline the boundary of the public land then when I switch between views, I still know where the boundary is.

Great tip. I didn’t even know about that. :doh:
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:33 am

Jonny wrote:County gis with 2' contour, and shaded public land.

Are all county gis maps dependent on whether or not the county or state pays for access? I'd love to use to a topo with 2' contours but don't know if I'll have access. Being relatively flat, I t would certainly be a game changer in the area I hunt.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:55 am

BKMississippi wrote:
Jonny wrote:County gis with 2' contour, and shaded public land.

Are all county gis maps dependent on whether or not the county or state pays for access? I'd love to use to a topo with 2' contours but don't know if I'll have access. Being relatively flat, I t would certainly be a game changer in the area I hunt.

You shouldn't have to pay for access since technically your tax dollars paid for it to be created and its all public domain so worst case is you would have to request access. I've never seen where you would have to pay for it though, at least in Wisconsin in all the counties I have used it on. That being said, you could be restricted on where you can get 2' contours since it varies from county to county. If you are in a poorer county with no bigger cities (like me) you probably won't have it.

But the public land feature in GIS is fantastic
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:38 am

I appreciate it. I guess what I meant was I don't think my county pays for the access to use it. The gis map for my county has hardly any features.
Swelch

Unread postby Swelch » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:21 pm

Onxmaps and ustopo pro are the ones I use a lot onx for the boundaries and ustopo for the several different map overlays you get within the app itself. I start tracks when I scout so I know exactly where I have been and can overlay that track onto aerials, Topos, Google and it has import feature so if you mark up transition lines and such on caltopo you can transfer that to ustopo and see the lines on that map

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”