Hunting low ground

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter1

Hunting low ground

Unread postby Bowhunter1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:12 pm

I was hoping for some opinions on how I can go about hunting a new piece of public ground that I have decided to try out. The ground is some ag fields and marsh grass that is bordered by a lake on one side and hardwood Hillsboro around the rest. I understand that bucks will bed on the hill side with the wind at there backs while watching these fields. My question is how could someone attempt to hunt these areas with out being picked off before even getting there? Is there even a way?

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Hunting low ground

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:42 pm

Bowhunter1 wrote:I was hoping for some opinions on how I can go about hunting a new piece of public ground that I have decided to try out. The ground is some ag fields and marsh grass that is bordered by a lake on one side and hardwood Hillsboro around the rest. I understand that bucks will bed on the hill side with the wind at there backs while watching these fields. My question is how could someone attempt to hunt these areas with out being picked off before even getting there? Is there even a way?

Entry and exit routes are key. I keep finding spots everywhere ive been scouting with buck trails from the beds just skirting past other hunters just out of sight. I found two stands just this week with a bucks bed within sight of both stands.he watches the hunter come in and climb his stand. The hunt is over before it started. So that tells me deer really use thier eyes alot more than we think they do. Me and jhand met up yesterday and were talking about how much they use their eyes especially in farm and hill country.
Entry routes are really hard sometimes we gotta walk 1-2 miles sometimes more all the way around a piece just to avoid wind and sight detection. Exit is also key. You dont wanna walk through deer every time you leave its dark but still educates the deer they are bring hunted. So sometimes just to hunt we end up walking 2-3 miles just to get to where we need to be and get out of there when its over. And if i were you look at the ag fields are they easy access? If they are dont even bother setting up there . Look for the over looked spots where the deer have some kind of advantage terrain wise to keep tabs on predators and humans
Imo alot of beds found along ag fields with high human traffic are actually night beds. But that really depends on hunting pressure too so if its public they are most likely night beds good luck. Keep at it
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:17 am

I’d mirror what Pysche says. If there are hiking or horse trails going through the property these can sometimes cut down on the access distance because deer are tolerant of these being used. However, in high pressure places they know where you should and shouldn’t be. They’ll bed close to these and watch you. Walk like a hiker not a still hunter. When I use these I’ve often got to walk 1/4-1/2 mile past my intended destination and circle back. On the trail where you’re scent blows isn’t as much of a concern, but I’d also not be using cover/hunter scent doing this. Dan described one of his spots in the Q&A series where the bed overlooks parking and he’s got to let the buck watch him walk where everyone else does then circle around once out of sight. This is pretty spot on.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:37 am

yep there is literally no way around it sometimes you got to make huge loops and come in the back door. use terrain and cover to access sometimes you will have to bump deer to get in position.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Bowhunter1

Unread postby Bowhunter1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:53 am

Yea it will be a tough spot to hunt. I think I can get in the back way in the morning to hunt as they are coming back to there believes beds due to a creek that drops in off the road and drains down into the lake but even that I’m nervous about. I got some nice deer on camera coming into the fields in the evening in the summer and found some of the biggest rubs I have ever seen back in the direction they were coming from just the other day. Thanks for everyone’s opinions

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”