Hard and soft transitions

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Hard and soft transitions

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:14 am

Id like to hear different descriptions or opinions on a hard transition vs a soft transitions. The soft ones coming off the hard transitions are the ones i look for but alot of times at least in big woods and alot of the marshes ive been in. There just not there. I still have been finding alot of beds off the points and young clear cuts with young pines and brushy areas. Sometimes these soft transitions are really hard to spot. Alot are impossible too see on aireals the tall trees are what i look for too out in the middle of these cut overs But they are not really on the transitions either they are out in the middle under the trees. (The beds i mean )Just like trees out in marshes
So when there just isnt a soft transition and its all just a straight line of trees. What is everone focusing on?

bh bowhunter

Re: Hard and soft transitions

Unread postby bh bowhunter » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:12 pm

Hard transitions in the higher Black Hills are easy to spot. Logging creates a semi-open area bordered by thick stands of pine and spruce. Softer transitions are areas where dense stands of spruce blend with birch and aspen. On the ridge tops I look for taller ponderosa pines with pockets of thick jack pines, these make excellent bedding spots.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:41 am

Some of the soft transitions I’ve found productive that aren’t visible on Ariel’s are timber\multiflora, timber/honeysuckle, multiflora/honeysuckle. Hard transitions seem to only produce daylight movement during rut stages, with the majority being immature bucks, but have the most sign: timber/pine, deep woods ponds/whatever, crp/whatever, ag/whatever.

I’m hunting heavily pressured Ohio public. I tend to focus on the soft transitions. Many being roadside, 10+ year old crp with 15 yard lanes, multiflora covered flood zones. The hard transitions attract the pressure and night time laid sign. I typically am not finding much sign in the soft transitions but that’s where the best beds still tend to be.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:00 am

When going into a new area, I try to identify 'soft transitions' via google earth pro utilizing the historical imagery tab.

When there is a green-up view, it's much more difficult. But if you find a pre green-up view in the history, some soft transitions are more evident virtually. Then you have a better idea where to walk and verify.

May not work in your area, but has helped some in mine.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:17 am

I key in on hard transitions. I feel they create more predictable deer patterns.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”